Need help diagnosing chicken - foot issue (PICS ADDED!!)

chickendude98

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 11, 2009
My chicken has been limping for a couple of weeks now, and can hardly walk at this point.

At first I figured it was a sprained ankle, but upon closer inspection the bottom and sides of her middle toe area are enlarged. The bottom pad on that area of the foot is enlarged, but not really discolored and with no scab. Also, the sides of the enlarged area are hard, not soft.

Poking/squeezing the area does not seem to bother her at all. In fact I cannot do anything to the leg/foot that makes her recoil, so it seems odd that this is keeping her from walking.

I poked a syringe into the bottom of her foot but was not getting any pus, just a tiny bit of blood. If it were bumble-foot, would the pus be flowing easily or is it thick?

I'll probably order some antibiotics next, but it would be nice to rule out bumble-foot right now if I could. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

She is close to 15 years old, by the way, so I'm not discounting arthritis or joint degeneration. Maybe the foot is just a coincidence?
Thanks for any help!

EDIT:

Here are some pictures.

Bad foot: Notice the enlarged middle toe.

4002361926_1c6a5636e0.jpg

Top view. You can clearly see the middle toe area is enlarged. The sides are hard it almost feels like a bone growth.

4001599235_642acab41e.jpg

What the other one looks like. (Bad one is on the right)
4001599547_9476c8a287.jpg

Another comparison picture.
4001600573_a5971204ca.jpg

Any ideas?

Last edited:
bumble foot has thick pus you have to scrape it out cant just squeeze and its not bumble foot without that scab good luck and shes very old so arthritis is a high chance.

Last edited:
OK, I added pictures. There is a little black speck on the bottom of her foot rather than the toe (which is also a little larger than normal) but it could just be some discoloration? You can sort of see it in the pictures.

15 YEARS OLD??!! GOD BLESS HER!! I would put her on a round of penicillin. I had a hen with, what looks to be, the same thing. 5 days of penG into her breast muscle and she was good as new. All swelling went away and she hasn't limped since. Best of luck.

Well, as you can see in the big picture below, there is a black dot.. but it looks more like discoloration and there are several similar ones on her feet. Isn't the bumblefoot usually more of a dark scab?

Regardless, I think chickenlady has talked me into a round of antibiotics for now. Any more opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

CLOSE UP:

4001600269_ccf36e5a1e_o.jpg

Last edited:
You might consider switching her over to a grower as chickens that age will have less need for the extra calcium and that might help any gout issues.

Back
Top Bottom