Need help distinguishing breeds

Rossi

Hatching
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Central Iowa
We are getting our chicks in about a week and I have some concerns if I will be getting the correct breeds that we ordered. Our order is being combined with some other people so that we can reach the minimum order. My concern is whether or not the store we are getting them from will be able to find my order out of the 30 + chicks in a box?

So far the store is not very helpful if I have chicken questions so I don't have much faith in their chicken identification skills.

Can someone give me some traits of each breed so that I can make sure my order is correct?

I have been looking up some pictures but a lot of the chicks look the same to me...

We are getting Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorp, Barred Rocks, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Easter Egger, and a Rhode Island Red.

Any identification pointers would be appreciated!

we were in the same position awhile back! you should be okay with everyone except the black australorps, barred rock and maybe the wyandottes (we didn't have wyandotte chicks but we did have cuckoo marans.) Those three looked identical. Supposedly the australorps have white markings and the br have light yellow. we could never differentiate so once they feathered out we did some shuffling. good luck!

mama to 7 big ladies (2 buffs, 1 RI, 2 Americanas, 1 BR, 1 Silver laced Wyandotte) 8 little ladies (2 black australorps, 2 cuckoo marans, 2 light brahmas, 2 cochin) 4 unexpected guineas, and broody sitting on 9 guinea eggs!!!!

The barred rocks are blk w/ white spot on top of the head, EE's have green legs RIR's are really light red/yellow, buff O's are yellow. I am not sure of the others.

Quote:
This is true! I had all three of these breeds and they all looked the same to me. Once they started getting their grown-up feathers it still took awhile to see the difference between the barred rock and the silver laced wyandottes. I think they were approx 5-6 weeks old when I knew for sure.

I can help a little...

Here are my girls at 1 day old....

HPIM2260Small.jpg

The Red one is a new hampshire red -the RIR will be a little lighter red color most often.

The two black ones (at my hand and far left) are Black Australorps...they are black w white markings on chest and face. Barred rocks have a white spot on their head.

Also at the top of the pic, the brownish striped one on the far left is an Ameraucana and your EE can look like like with shade and color variation.

HPIM2255Small.jpg

Bottom of pic...the black one with the silver/white stripes is a Silver Laced Wyandotte...they will all look exactly like that...They also have a unique face I will post a better pic of her face below and also close-ups of the australorps so you can see the variations in markings.

The other light fuzzy one with dark markings is a light brahma.

SLW face pattern example...

HPIM2259Small.jpg

Speckles2small.jpg

Australorps marking differences...

Molly:
Molly2small.jpg

Holly:
Holly3small.jpg

Hope that helps...

Post pics when you get them....we love pics.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom