1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help! Either sour crop or pendulous crop...have no idea!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bappl, Jul 21, 2016.

1. bappl

bappl Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm trying to figure out if my Silkie has sour crop or pendulous crop or what?? He's (or she's) throwing up. Every time I pick him up he throws up. I brought him inside yesterday and put him in a brooder. I've stopped his food. And I've given him water with a little bit of baking soda. I turn him upside down to help him get the nasty stuff out of his crop, and he is throwing up brown liquid. But I'm not sure if it's sour crop or pendulous crop or what. Even though he hasn't had food in 24 hours, his crop is still enlarged and is squishy. I have been scouring the internet but I'm not exactly sure what I'm dealing with. I'd appreciate advice!! And do you think he'll survive this?[​IMG]

2. Brookiejo

Brookiejo Just Hatched

Jul 21, 2016
    He mostly likely has an impacted crop. One of my bantam chocin hens had one and passed from it. Try flushing your chickens crop out with water. Also try massaging it. I would keep your chicken inside to keep a close eye on it

3. Brookiejo

Brookiejo Just Hatched

Jul 21, 2016
    How long has he been throwing up?

4. bappl

Yes, he's inside. I'm keeping a close eye on him. How do I go about flushing his crop?

5. bappl

For 24 hours now.

6. Brookiejo

Brookiejo Just Hatched

Jul 21, 2016
    Hm okay. I would try contacting a vet to be on the safe side!

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  8. bappl

Thank you for all all these responses. For the one who said it was probably impacted crop, you were right. However, I figured it all out too late and my Silkie passed away. Thank you, though, for the help.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

10. bappl

Thank you. I appreciate that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by