Need help fast please.. HELP PLEASE

Vicki53813

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2015
My muscovy duck had a nest of 19 plus eggs that was due around July 4.. To make a long story short the hatch did not go well. I kept checking on her and the nest and a week after due date I noticed a lot of flies around nest... So i scooted her off the nest and picked out many dead/rotten eggs. no idea what happened to them... there was about 4 eggs left that I thought looked light in color and didnt stink... She continued to sit on nest.. .One egg hatched just fine.. she took the little baby just fine...the other 3 was a different story... she beat the babies up.. literally walking on them . throwing them around..I saved them.. well the final egg I left in there and checked on it to get it out as soon as it started to hatch. I needed her to finish the incubation time.. she sat on the final egg and again.. started to beat on the egg.. I dont think I got to it fast enough... The baby is breathing. half in its egg half out.. kinda bloody but looks like a blood vein type bleed.that has clotted itself.. i put him imediately under heat lamp..lifeless but breathing... What else should I do? ANd why would she do this to the babies??? HELP

Do not,I repeat.DO NOT PUT THE BABY DUCK UNDER THE HEAT LAMP IF IT IS STILL IN THE EGG!you NEED to keep the membrain wet,warp it in a damp paper towel,keep the head out,that's all I know,I'm sorry,prayers.

Some ducks just are bad mothers, I guess.
idunno.gif
Gracie was our first duck to go broody, only she killed her babies less than halfway through by constantly pooping on them and moving them and letting them get cold. Apparently she didn’t like her nest; she kept trying to move her eggs out.

I don’t know how to help with the baby, but you might read this page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. i wrapped a damp paper towel around the baby. It is still half in the shell. How do I keep it warm if it shouldnt be under lamp? When i put towel around it is let out a light chirp. The bleeding has slowed considerably. i guess all I can do now is wait..???

Thank you for the replies. i wrapped a damp paper towel around the baby. It is still half in the shell. How do I keep it warm if it shouldnt be under lamp?  When i put towel around it is let out a light chirp.  The bleeding has slowed considerably. i guess all I can do now is wait..???

(I'm not really good but...)when they hatch,I don't think that the mother sits on them until after.yes,all you can do is,wait.

The trick will be to keep the egg warm enough yet humid enough so it doesn't get glued into the shell.

Put it near the heat lamp but not too close, if shoot for about 90 degrees. Depending on where you live, outside on a porch might work.

Thank you. I really think the little one is going to pull through.. I got some of the debri ( bedding) off of him/her and peeled some of the dried membrane off. It opens its eyes and light chirps. The only shell remaining is right around its butt. Both wings, feet and upper full body is out of shell. I can see a little amount of yoke so I will give it time to finish. I have 2 other 1 day old sibling in there and it responds to them. Hopefully it is enough.

Sounds great! Hoping for the best from now on. Sounds really promising.

If the shell is glued on, you may have to wash it off. I've used a q tip dipped in warm water to gently loosen the edges, then break the loose piece off with tweezers. Hopefully it's not that stuck though.

Back
Top Bottom