Need help figuring out a predator. Could it be a cat?

Mistols

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 10, 2009
Kaysville, UT
This morning I went to check on the coop and noticed several feathers around. I have 6 full grown hens and 11 teenagers chicks (almost 3 months). I didn't think too much of it. I figured there was a pecking order scuffle. Tonight, when I looked in the run, I was missing 2 chicks, an Egyptian Fayoumi and a Mottled Java. I am sick! They are locked up except for a 18"x18" opening to the run. The chicks have been sleeping together on the floor. What else could climb a fence (6') and take off with them?

Of course, from now on I will be blocking that door at night. Grrr...
he.gif

I always think I have the stomach to handle this but I guess not.

Any other ideas?

I am sorry for your loss, but you absolutely have to close up that door at night. By leaving it open you are asking for trouble. Wild predators are not stupid, nor do they recognize a human's concept of ownership. They take what they can get most easily, so if you make it easy, they will take....As you have discovered.

I have a cat and there have been stray cats in the yard but never do they go after the chickens. are your strays large? my guess is a coon, I have heard of owl's coming in at night and grabbing chickens .
idunno.gif
sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Yep, I guess it could be a racoon. We have had the coop that way for 1 1/2 years with no problems. I have 6 grown chickens. The chicks are new in the coop - about 2 weeks now. The feral cat has been around during the day and night and I just can't see him dragging a juvenile chicken away. (Our rickity fence had a gap at the bottom)

So, crud. I guess it is a coon.
somad.gif
:he

There are a couple of materials for fencing. Chain link, Vinyl and wire fencing from Home Depot. I will take pics tomorrow when it is light.

Racoons are common in our area but usually stick to the creek about 2 houses (1 -2 acres away). I have seen them in the yard before.

So it is weird.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom