Need help figuring out a predator. Could it be a cat?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mistols, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Mistols

Mistols Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2009
    Kaysville, UT
    This morning I went to check on the coop and noticed several feathers around. I have 6 full grown hens and 11 teenagers chicks (almost 3 months). I didn't think too much of it. I figured there was a pecking order scuffle. Tonight, when I looked in the run, I was missing 2 chicks, an Egyptian Fayoumi and a Mottled Java. I am sick! They are locked up except for a 18"x18" opening to the run. The chicks have been sleeping together on the floor. What else could climb a fence (6') and take off with them?

Of course, from now on I will be blocking that door at night. Grrr...[​IMG]

I always think I have the stomach to handle this but I guess not.

Any other ideas?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    could be a racoon or cat.

3. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    I am sorry for your loss, but you absolutely have to close up that door at night. By leaving it open you are asking for trouble. Wild predators are not stupid, nor do they recognize a human's concept of ownership. They take what they can get most easily, so if you make it easy, they will take....As you have discovered.

4. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I have a cat and there have been stray cats in the yard but never do they go after the chickens. are your strays large? my guess is a coon, I have heard of owl's coming in at night and grabbing chickens .[​IMG] sorry for your loss [​IMG]

5. Mistols

Jan 10, 2009
    Kaysville, UT
    Yep, I guess it could be a racoon. We have had the coop that way for 1 1/2 years with no problems. I have 6 grown chickens. The chicks are new in the coop - about 2 weeks now. The feral cat has been around during the day and night and I just can't see him dragging a juvenile chicken away. (Our rickity fence had a gap at the bottom)

So, crud. I guess it is a coon. [​IMG]:he

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    kina depends on what type of materials are used in your fence and all but grey fox are excellent climbers

7. Mistols

Jan 10, 2009
    Kaysville, UT
    There are a couple of materials for fencing. Chain link, Vinyl and wire fencing from Home Depot. I will take pics tomorrow when it is light.

Racoons are common in our area but usually stick to the creek about 2 houses (1 -2 acres away). I have seen them in the yard before.

So it is weird.

Thanks.

8. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Either a cat or coon could climb the fence but if there was a closed door to the coop that it had to open to get in, I'd put my money on the coon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by