Need help figuring out if this is a boy or girl!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kenia, Sep 20, 2014.

1. kenia

kenia New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    I have this chicken and i was wondering if anyone could tell if it's male or female?! It got injured a while ago on its neck and the feathers are barely starting to grow back. I couldn't get a really good picture either, they don't stand still very long.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    It's an Easter egger cockerel. Male.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

+1

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X3 on Easter Egger cockerel. The greenish legs are a dead giveaway. Sorry. :eek:(

5. kenia

kenia New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    I thought so :( i didn't want a rooster. Do you know if it's normal that it hasn't started crowing yet? Also my other chickens are hens and they've always been pretty mean to it, especially after reintroducing it after it was injured. Will that change once it's older? All the hens are older than him

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There is no normal time for crowing, really. It can start anytime from less than a week old to almost a year old. He'll become more assertive with the hens when he's older and more confident.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Easter Egger cockerel. It isn't that unusual that he hasn't started crowing yet. The most common crowing age is 8-10 weeks, but it is also common for roosters to wait longer than that.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You definitely have a cockerel. My cockerels usually start crowing around eight weeks old, but it isn't uncommon for birds to take longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by