Need help figuring out what Tractor supply sold me!

KSeggers

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2020
Kansas
I bought 4 "pullets" from Tractor supply last week. 2 are golden comet, 2 were supposedly black sex link. However, as I've read, Black sex link pullets look nothing like what we got. I've concluded we either have:
  • Black Sex Link cockerels
  • Barred rock, not sure of gender
  • Cuckoo maran, not sure of gender.
I'm obviously hoping they're both females, since they were sold as pullets, but need help figuring out if they are females and what breed! The names are Kangan and Wydo (so thoughtfully named by my 4 year old!) Thanks!!

Attachments

• Kangan 1.jpg
    Kangan 1.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 59
  • Kangan 2.jpg
    Kangan 2.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Wydo 2.jpg
    Wydo 2.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Wydo 1.jpg
    Wydo 1.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 37
The last one with the white spot on its head is a Barred Rock! I’ve got some right now and they look identical. Not sure about the others!

The last one with the white spot on its head is a Barred Rock! I’ve got some right now and they look identical. Not sure about the others!
There's only 2, I just put 2 pictures of each, but thanks! They both have white spots on the heads which meant they were either BSL males or Barred rocks of who knows what gender! I guess I'll have to wait and see?!

There's only 2, I just put 2 pictures of each, but thanks! They both have white spots on the heads which meant they were either BSL males or Barred rocks of who knows what gender! I guess I'll have to wait and see?!

They are probably not Barred Rock males--they should show much clearer white bars on the wing feathers by now if they were.

(Barred Rock males have two doses of the barring gene, so they have wider/more distinct white bars and generally look lighter in color than the females. Black Sexlink males and Barred Rock females look a lot alike, because they each have one copy of the barring gene. Black sexlink females do not have barring at all.)

Here's a thread from 2012 with photos of a group of Barred Rock chicks, 1 male and several females. You can see the male showing white bars in the wing feathers from quite an early age.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/barred-rock-chicks-gender-id.690624/

So I don't know for sure if you've got Barred Rock females or Black Sexlink males, but I'm guessing it's Barred Rock females. Tractor Supply may mis-label the bins on a regular basis, but they mostly have chicks that people would want to buy. I would not expect them to have a bunch of sexlink males. (Straight run chicks, yes. All males of a sexlink breed, I think unlikely.)

They are probably not Barred Rock males--they should show much clearer white bars on the wing feathers by now if they were.

(Barred Rock males have two doses of the barring gene, so they have wider/more distinct white bars and generally look lighter in color than the females. Black Sexlink males and Barred Rock females look a lot alike, because they each have one copy of the barring gene. Black sexlink females do not have barring at all.)

Here's a thread from 2012 with photos of a group of Barred Rock chicks, 1 male and several females. You can see the male showing white bars in the wing feathers from quite an early age.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/barred-rock-chicks-gender-id.690624/

So I don't know for sure if you've got Barred Rock females or Black Sexlink males, but I'm guessing it's Barred Rock females. Tractor Supply may mis-label the bins on a regular basis, but they mostly have chicks that people would want to buy. I would not expect them to have a bunch of sexlink males. (Straight run chicks, yes. All males of a sexlink breed, I think unlikely.)
Thank you so much, that's very helpful!

The chicks are 2 weeks old now! Here's some updated pictures of Kangan and Wydo. I'm guessing they're starting to look like the BSL cockerels, but still hoping for barred rock female? Is there any hope? The titles of the pictures describe which chick is which. Thanks!!

Attachments

• Kangan in back.jpg
    Kangan in back.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Kangan.jpg
    Kangan.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Wydo front kangan back.jpg
    Wydo front kangan back.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Wydo front.jpg
    Wydo front.jpg