Need help finding out what killed my chicken

arkansasborn21

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
all that was left of the chicken was a pile of feathers and the feet and i have no clue what it would be i need help

What I saw this weekend was chest cavity opened and eaten, and feet. It was such a mess I didn't register what it was at first - until I saw the feet. That's just my personal experience. Maybe someone else has something to add.

Well with my expeiriyence it must be a fox because i saw a this once before with my chickens.
thumbsup.gif

Need a little bit more information.

Was it inside or outside?

Was it in a covered run or free ranging?

Did it happen during the day or night?

What general area of the country do you live in?

If it was in protected area how big are the holes that would allow predators in?

etc.

it was outside
free ranging
it happened at night
I live in south arkansas
the holes in the pen are 4x4

nothing has ever left the feet before

My first inclination would be one of the larger mammalian predators. Just my first inclination though.

I'm open to discussion.

Owls probably wouldn't eat the whole thing.

Raccoons and oppossums are generally know for being picky eaters.

The larger mammals often take the whole bird away and eat in a more protected place.

Is there a trail of blood or feathers to follow?

Wait a minute, they were "free-ranging" at night?

If that is the case, I would suggest putting them in a SECURE coop at night. This means shelter from wind, and all gaps/ventilation sealed with 1/2" or 1/4" hardware cloth. Chickens cannot see well in the dark, and certainly need protection. (in most areas they need protection during the day as well, not just the night)

If it was at night, I doubt it was a hawk since they are daytime predators.

Back
Top Bottom