Need help for my duckling... Slipped tendon

What was the out come from your experience?
His name was Hoppy. When it first happened he hopped on one leg. I tried a splint, but it wasn't staying straight, moving the leg working it, but it just got stiffer because I couldn't work it enough. I took it to the vet. and he said he could not fix it, because of how the joint grew was too large and flat, with nowhere for the tendon to slip back into. I kept him for a while and babied him, but when he grew the tendon just got tighter and the lower leg twisted until the bottom of his foot was facing upwards. His modified way of walking threw the rest of his body off, because he wasn't hopping any more, and could see that it wouldn't work out to keep him. My husband culled him. He was from stock that was obviously inbred. There were some different problems with some of the others too.

Possibly there are different degrees of slipped tendon, that could be fixed by a vet. I've read that it has been done.

Last edited:
His name was Hoppy. When it first happened he hopped on one leg. I tried a splint, but it wasn't staying straight, moving the leg working it, but it just got stiffer because I couldn't work it enough. I took it to the vet. and he said he could not fix it, because of how the joint grew was too large and flat, with nowhere for the tendon to slip back into. I kept him for a while and babied him, but when he grew the tendon just got tighter and the lower leg twisted until the bottom of his foot was facing upwards. His modified way of walking threw the rest of his body off, because he wasn't hopping any more, and could see that it wouldn't work out to keep him. My husband culled him. He was from stock that was obviously inbred. There were some different problems with some of the others too.

Possibly there are different degrees of slipped tendon, that could be fixed by a vet.
I'm so sorry.

They didn't like the Brewer's Yeast supplement, so I got nutritional yeast. They like that better. I still do their exercises and they get at least twice a day bath time. The other duckling slipped 1 of it's tendons again and I can't get it back. It's too painful. I'm trying to do diapers out of socks but several HATE the socks. I also made a little wheelchair type thing out of legos for Eve.
Oh yeah! My husband decided she's going to be a house duck but now we will have 2 house ducks. AND she started quacking occasionally! So her name is Eve and her cagemate is Jinx (cause it slipped again!) The other 3 are Tank, Tiny and Dasiy Duke

They didn't like the Brewer's Yeast supplement, so I got nutritional yeast. They like that better. I still do their exercises and they get at least twice a day bath time. The other duckling slipped 1 of it's tendons again and I can't get it back. It's too painful. I'm trying to do diapers out of socks but several HATE the socks. I also made a little wheelchair type thing out of legos for Eve.
Oh yeah! My husband decided she's going to be a house duck but now we will have 2 house ducks. AND she started quacking occasionally! So her name is Eve and her cagemate is Jinx (cause it slipped again!) The other 3 are Tank, Tiny and Dasiy Duke
Poor things I'm sorry it wouldn't go back in place. Sounds like your dh is a wonderful person to take on 2 house ducks. Lots of work but sounds like they couldn't have a better loving family.

Sad update. Eve will need to be euth tomorrow. Her tibia/fibula are twisting to the point that her feet are ending up on her sides. She can't even get herself around on the floor anymore else she pulls herself with her bill. She can't zoomie in the tub, she can't swim over to the mealworms in the tub/sink anymore. She cries when I try to stretch her legs. We were going to wait to see if she could get around better once her wings came in but she gets picked on in the tub by the others and doesn't want to be alone. We have a farm but I just can't do it myself at this point. I've butchered chickens, ducks, turkeys that I've taken care of but at 6 weeks I can't do her now. I've been doing her physical rehab at least twice daily, her swim time at least twice daily, we were going to keep her as a pet but she isn't going to be happy much longer.
I'm worried about Jinx as well deciding on what to do with her. I can get the tendon over but wont stay and I can't afford the surgery.

Sad update. Eve will need to be euth tomorrow. Her tibia/fibula are twisting to the point that her feet are ending up on her sides. She can't even get herself around on the floor anymore else she pulls herself with her bill. She can't zoomie in the tub, she can't swim over to the mealworms in the tub/sink anymore. She cries when I try to stretch her legs. We were going to wait to see if she could get around better once her wings came in but she gets picked on in the tub by the others and doesn't want to be alone. We have a farm but I just can't do it myself at this point. I've butchered chickens, ducks, turkeys that I've taken care of but at 6 weeks I can't do her now. I've been doing her physical rehab at least twice daily, her swim time at least twice daily, we were going to keep her as a pet but she isn't going to be happy much longer.
I'm worried about Jinx as well deciding on what to do with her. I can get the tendon over but wont stay and I can't afford the surgery.
@fuzziecreatures I am so sorry, poor lil one but you have made the right decision.
hugs.gif

I just read this and put it in my book marks maybe it will help Jinx. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...pped-tendons-in-bantam-duckling#post_16233848

I have some news. I took Eve in to be euthanized but we decided not to for now. Now, my clinic does not specialize in birds, we only do cats and dogs. We did some xrays of her legs and the hock joint is rounded and also not straight. So I never will get her legs normal. 2 of the doctors felt that she wasn't in pain, uncomfortable because of the position of her legs but not painful. If we can figure out some different management techniques, she will be ok for as long as possible. If she becomes painful or develops sores on her hocks from walking on them, we will reassess. Potentials are tendon surgery to release the achilles tendon to as drastic as amputation of the lower legs. I don't know if I can justify that as much as I care for her and I would probably have to wait until she is fully grown.

I'll post her video on my facebook page.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom