Need Help from ORPINGTON owners

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Can anyone please help me... I ordered all pullets in this batch and I know that sometimes they screw up which is no big deal because I actually wanted a buff roo. Anyways, I am really unsure of this one... The first picture is the one I am questioning, the second is what all the others look like. They are all the same age 17.5 weeks.
roo3.jpg

buff1.jpg

Any help would very much be appreciated

Thanks
Tes

I have two buff orpington pullets. Each of their combs is different. One has a bigger floppy comb and the other has a really short, barely there comb. Just like brothers and sisters of the human kind, they have their own unique physical aspects.

Hope that helps.

Well, at that age, right before laying, it is probably a pullet. I'd have to see better pics of the body, hackle and saddle feathers. One of my Buff Orp girls has a comb like your first pic and the other girl is more like your second pic-it's just an individual difference with them and could be with yours. Now, if it was a couple weeks younger, I'd say you may have a cockerel. See if you have pics of those areas so we could determine better.

Yup... they were under the house... had to entice him/her with watermelon
gig.gif

I hope these are what you were looking for... let me know
rooroo2.jpg

rooroo3.jpg

rooroo4.jpg

Now that I look at the pics, I see hen, but because the others not having the combs or the waddles this big I figured it was a roo. I just didnt know if they matured slower. I guess I am going to have to change the name from roo roo to ummmm... any suggestions???

Thanks Tes

With the comb at her age and that rear end...I'd say pullet. I'll leave the official call to the buff orp official, speckledhen.
smile.png

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Okay Offical Speckled
gig.gif
and that is one of the major reasons why I asked... becuase it wasnt crowing or even acting anything like my other roos
lau.gif
But my DH swears it is a roo... and says he is not listening to me anymore...
lau.gif
and thinks I am crazy that I ask so many questions on here and spend so much time on here... Excuse me... but when was the last time he raised chickens??? hmmm.... NEVER... So I turn to the EGGSPERTS when I need help!!! He is even saying that a couple of my RIR are roos but they are not... they are hens... he just gets them confused with the babies, so he thinks they are roos... uggggg what is one to do.... except prove him wrong... cant wait to throw roo roos first egg in his face
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Any suggestions for a name since I can't call her roo roo anymore
gig.gif

Tes

Back
Top Bottom