need help getting child support from deadbeat mom

One more thing - it is possible to garnish a tax refund but I believe there has to be an order for enforcement stating that. In other words, you go back to court with a motion to enforce child support obligation and get a signed order from the court.

I'm in the same boat. It didn't take long for them to come after me, but now that I have custody, it is a different story.

Quote:
Its kinda quirky in Texas; the court case is public information and anybody can review the file and orders. In the Attorney General's office it is different; only parties to the case or their attorneys can get the info from their files. Law enforcement does not even have access to the AG office info...

We were still having child support withheld on one of my steps long after she reached her majority, we were paying her college tuition, room & board as well as spending allowance. The child support folks would not deal with me, only with dh, altough they offered to have him provide written permission for them to deal with me. So eventually I was able to work on it and get all the paperwork filed, etc. to stop paying on her. I don't recall if we ever got it credited that we had overpaid and had it applied to the other kids (I think not, but not positive; it's been a long time).

btdt but with my own daughter - first thing is to contact your local child support office - you (actually dh) will probably need to file to have the court order moved to your current county. If you have any info, ie where she lives and works - provide that (check facebook - people provide all kinds of info there). However, be aware it will take months if not a year (or two or three and can become very frustrating). Things move much slower when it is between multiple states. My story is long and complicated but finally started getting payments then he moved and everything is back to no payments.

I wish you best of luck.

carol

SonoranSilkies wrote:

"We were still having child support withheld on one of my steps long after she reached her majority, we were paying her college tuition, room & board as well as spending allowance. The child support folks would not deal with me, only with dh, altough they offered to have him provide written permission for them to deal with me. So eventually I was able to work on it and get all the paperwork filed, etc. to stop paying on her. I don't recall if we ever got it credited that we had overpaid and had it applied to the other kids (I think not, but not positive; it's been a long time)."

I hear that; we have cases where the children are in their 30's and the non-custodial parent is still paying the custodial parent back! But the laws are different in every state. There was a federal law (Welfare act, 1996) that required all states to have a central child support registry, a clearing house for child support. The states receive reimbursement from the feds. 65% of the resources in the Texas Attorney General's office is spent on child support enforcement - 65%!!!

You can go back to court with an enforcement action on your own or there is probably some IV-D (of the Welfare Reform Act) agency that can assist... And the court clerk's office (or District Clerk) will know which one in your state.

Last edited:
Arkansas has a Child Support Enforcement agency. Maybe you can see if MO has one? I've had them ganish taxes before. Matter of fact I got $2100 last year due to the very same thing.

I don't care how poor you are; it's not worth $122 a month having to deal with someone that worthless.
The girl is practically yours anyway. Get the piece of scum totally out of the child's life, your life, and your husband's life by adopting her.

Last edited:
I agree with church. I would just let it go, and I would never call her a deadbeat. If it was important to you then you should have followed up on it long ago. JMO lol.

Something else to think about...
If she starts having to pay... will she demand visitation? And if so... is she the type of person that you want your child around unsupervised?
From what you wrote..she dosent sound like a model example of a parent... i'd worry about her influence on the kid...

Back
Top Bottom