Need help getting humidity higher in LG

GJ_Kate

Songster
12 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Grand Junction
I have just put my very first hatch ever of 4 BR turkey eggs in lockdown last night.
fl.gif
I can't get the humidity above 58%.
barnie.gif
We live in western Colorado and its REALLY dry!!! I already have a sponge in there and 2 wet paper towels and the two red plugs are in. The only other thing I can think of is to plug the little drain holes in the bottom so I can put water in the outer ring in the bottom of the bator.
Anyone?

I have a hot air humidifier in the room underneath part of the bator. I also have a big bowl in there filled with water and washcloths. I have it up to 60-67%

The room is closed off to all drafts so it can get nice and sticky in there and keep the humidity up in the room to help it from drying out to fast.

i put a little bowl of water in my lg still air...a sponge, and filled both wells....i keep my room between 70-74 degrees and wrapped the inc in towels and tshirts...one plug in, the other out....i'm on my 2nd day of lockdown..and can't wait til this is over!!!!

take some duct tape and tape the jint all the way around where the top sets on the bottom// and 58% is not all that bad for turkeys at lockdown, so don't worry...

Mind if I butt in? I'm also on lockdown with an LG and my humidity started at 55 and now dropped to 40%. So it's ok to open the incubator to add sponges?

Well, I just pulled 4 eraser tips off of some pencils and shoved them up into the drain holes. Then I used a plastic water bottle straw to put water in the outer ring. I also added more water to the sponge that I already have in there. Its already up to 63% in just these 5 minutes.
Thanks guys!
lol.png

ETA: That's not butting in! I'd like to know too!

Last edited:
Thanks GJKate. Good luck with your hatch. I ended up putting my LG over an old square aquarium I have. Fit perfectly. Put in a towel and water on the bottom of the aquarium and added warm water to the LG through the vent holes. Taped everything up. Humidity is at 55%.

Back
Top Bottom