Need help identifying growth on hen's eye

TonyaS

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2017
Eustis, FL
I'm new to raising chickens so I'm hoping someone can help me identify what this growth is on my hen's eye. She's acting perfectly fine, eating, drinking and laying eggs so it doesn't seem to be bothering her. I've read quite a few different things that it could be but I'm not sure how I should treat it. Here's a close up picture I took. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Hen 2 121717.JPG
    Hen 2 121717.JPG
    427.9 KB · Views: 9
My guess would be pox or cancer. How long has it been there?

It just showed up recently. We spend our afternoons out on our property with all of our chickens and my 6 year old daughter is constantly following them around so she brought her to me as soon as she saw it. I was able to lift it up, it seems to be attached to the bottom of her eyelid. She didn't seem bothered with me messing with it either which was helpful for me. Is there anything I should do to try to treat it or should I just watch it closely to see if it changes or her behavior changes?

Can you see any other scabs on her comb, face, ears, wattles, or on any of the other chickens? That would be a good thing, since it would more likely be pox. Pox is common when there have been mosquitoes out recently, and in Florida, that might be a possibility. Rapid growth or changes might signify tumor. I have seen a hard cyst on an eyelid on one of mine that never changed. Keep us posted on what it turns out to be.

Back
Top Bottom