need help identifying pullets

Yeah, it is so confusing. That is what ISA browns usually look like. Some people will use the names interchangeably. We usually call them "production reds" on here, because they have mostly the same qualities with a couple different appearances.
IMG_8644.jpeg

All my confusing girls (& boy) in one pic.
The gray and red on the right turned out to be a rooster. Some are saying he’s a PBB.
The gray and gold girl at the top: no idea
The gold and white is a golden comet.
The blonde with black : no idea
The reddish with black tail tips: also no idea.
They should be one of these breeds because these are what I chose from in TSC :
SGE, PBB or EE

But when I look for images online, they all have so many color variations… it’s impossible. Next time I’m putting different color zip ties on their ankles. 😖😖

The blue and gold girl is also PBB, as is the black and gold one, and possibly the bottom as well. The gold with white flecks could be an SGE, rather than golden comet. I can't see combs on all the girls, but I don't see any that are screaming EE to me. Mostly PBB.

*I see from your other post you did actually order Golden Comets, that that could be accurate for her. But the rest all look like PBB to me. Cockerel could be PBB or EE but honestly, it's six of one etc. Lol. I would think PBB if straight comb and EE if pea comb.

I usually do a group hatchery order in the spring, so the minimum order can be split up amongst a couple people. This year didn't go so well, we still got 8 of the wrong breed 😅, but I am selling the free buff brahmas, and I am excited to have a surprise cream legbar.

I usually do a group hatchery order in the spring, so the minimum order can be split up amongst a couple people. This year didn't go so well, we still got 8 of the wrong breed 😅, but I am selling the free buff brahmas, and I am excited to have a surprise cream legbar.
That’s a good idea. And I have two cream legbars and they’re awesome!!

It has gone well for many years. This year was a little unexpected, but I did my best to roll with it. I even just brooded a bunch that I am selling at 6 weeks to help cover the cost and fund our new winter run.

I had a good experience with Cackle, but I can't say I had a bad experience with my Hoover's chicks, just the experience of the TSC employees varies drastically from store to store. That is what I've found, is you really have to do your due diligence there, which is hard because most cases you walk in and they have the breeds they have 🤷 but I plan on getting the rest of my chicks in the future from specific breeders. I just didn't have that kind of network established when I first started a year ago.

If you want to walk in and get sex links, or don't mind taking your chances on SR or getting a random cockerel, it's really fine. But if you want to breed anything of decent quality there's clearly better stock out there. None of these are even breeds, quite literally, except the BO. So if your goal is eggs, honestly, you're fine. You've got hybrid production layers of pretty eggs, right?

Idk, just my 2 cents. Lol Not trying to be a chicken snob, just realistic about what the hatcheries are for. At least I would expect Cackle to send you the correct breeds. 🙄😅 But even Cackle or Ideal or Mt. healthy or or or .... These are still all just hatchery quality birds, at the end of the day. And for most people, that's all they need. Healthy birds that appear mostly correct for the breed.

I had a good experience with Cackle, but I can't say I had a bad experience with my Hoover's chicks, just the experience of the TSC employees varies drastically from store to store. That is what I've found, is you really have to do your due diligence there, which is hard because most cases you walk in and they have the breeds they have 🤷 but I plan on getting the rest of my chicks in the future from specific breeders. I just didn't have that kind of network established when I first started a year ago.

If you want to walk in and get sex links, or don't mind taking your chances on SR or getting a random cockerel, it's really fine. But if you want to breed anything of decent quality there's clearly better stock out there. None of these are even breeds, quite literally, except the BO. So if your goal is eggs, honestly, you're fine. You've got hybrid production layers of pretty eggs, right?

Idk, just my 2 cents. Lol Not trying to be a chicken snob, just realistic about what the hatcheries are for. At least I would expect Cackle to send you the correct breeds. 🙄😅 But even Cackle or Ideal or Mt. healthy or or or .... These are still all just hatchery quality birds, at the end of the day. And for most people, that's all they need. Healthy birds that appear mostly correct for the breed.
I feel that same way. Big name hatcheries are giving you what you pay for, basically. I have come to not expect much. 😄

Back
Top Bottom