Need help Identifying these roos and hens

BJS

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 8, 2009
The white ones came from the same straight run batch and the red came from a group of reds called "assorted pullets" which leads me to believe the reds are sex links. The white ones I don't know. They are all the same age. 5-6 months. The white has been laying one egg every single day since she started laying a month ago. The red hasn't laid yet.
42579_100_3333.jpg

42579_100_3188.jpg

42579_100_3330.jpg

The eggs are light brown. They appear very light tan with visible white speckling when first laid but darken within a day or two to a darker shade. They started out as barely making medium grade but have gotten larger and now tip the scales at large size. I had assumed all the whites were the same breed. They were identical (as far as I could tell) until the roosters started showing their male features and adding color. The red hen in the background then would also be a red star?
I just hatched a cross between the roos hsown and the white hen shown. The baby chick is yellow.

Like Princess said Top two are Red Sex-Links and in the bottom pic is a White Rock hen..

Chris

I'm not sure of the shade, but Rocks lay brown eggs so I'm guessing you have a Rock. We had Red Star males as packing peanuts in our first order, and they all grew to look like yours.
smile.png
The red hen in the last pic looks like a Red Star female. RSLs also lay brown eggs.

Before we found out we had Red Star males, we thought the extra packing peanuts were all hens-complementary from the hatchery.
roll.png
Silly us. They looked like hens until they started showing their red paches, just like you say.

Thanks!
These were the only ones I didn't know since they came from Tractor Supply. I also have Salmon Faverolles, gold-laced wyandottes, and red partridge Welsummers purchased from local farms. And now one Red Star X White Plymouth Rock cross.

Back
Top Bottom