Need help identifying this breed

Pics
This isn't a SLW.

If hen-feathered Wyandottes exist, they've got to be very rare. Doubting it's the case here.
Something I've learned first hand this season - Nature does what nature wants to do. I hatched a rumpless chick from non rumpless parents! So .. I'm inclined to believe that "unusual occurrences" can and do happen! 20201026_160249.jpg

Apparently it's mentioned somewhere in this book: http://www.survivorlibrary.com/library/the_wyandotte_standard_and_breed_book-1919.pdf

However, said book is long and unsearchable so I haven't found it yet.
Page 150 & Page 178 on that book! Seems there were henny feathered males in both silver AND gold :) There's mention of delayed maturity of the feathers...

Cool Source! Thanks for posting it :)

EDITED: To add: If you are viewing this book on a browser window or other microsoft product use Cntrl & F to open the *find* popup. Type in the text you want to find and it will both highlight all those text incidences and tell you in the popup how many it found. You can skip to each incidence. Great tool for finding stuff in HUGE texts :)

Last edited:
Cool cool cool. @Poultry mum , when your chicken starts laying or crowing could you post some pics or video? It seems that nothing else will satisfy this crowd! :lau

Thanks for joining BYC, and I hope that this experience hasn't put you off from participating here in the future!
Yes thank you for joining! And I would love updates on this little one!

Page 150 & Page 178 on that book! Seems there were henny feathered males in both silver AND gold :) There's mention of delayed maturity of the feathers...

Cool Source! Thanks for posting it :)

EDITED: To add: If you are viewing this book on a browser window or other microsoft product use Cntrl & F to open the *find* popup. Type in the text you want to find and it will both highlight all those text incidences and tell you in the popup how many it found. You can skip to each incidence. Great tool for finding stuff in HUGE texts :)

Thanks for pointing that out. I just assumed I couldn't cause of the text type. And we all know what they say about assuming!

Pg 158 (or 162 using the navigation) shows a hen feathered male, apparently used as a breeder to create open laced pullets.

ETA: The book also states that the only difference between SLW and GLW is the ground color. And fixed a typo

Last edited:
wow, s/he's cute!
They're always cute when they're little. Now he's a big clumsy teenager LOL. (It's hilarious watching him trip over his own legs to get out of the way of a bantam that's a fraction his size). Frustratingly, he has loads of red leakage so I won't be using him for breeding.

2021.01.26 Blue Rumpless.jpg

Last edited:
They're always cute when they're little. Now he's a big clumsy teenager LOL. (It's hilarious watching him trip over his own legs to get out of the way of a bantam that's a fraction his size). Frustratingly, he has loads of red leakage so I won't be using him for breeding.

View attachment 2502965
What is he? (other than gorgeous)

Back
Top Bottom