Need help identifying this breed

Pics

Poultry mum

Crowing
Jan 22, 2021
Australia
Was bought off Facebook seller told me she was a golden sebright... however she has the colours and shape of a golden laced Wyandotte... but could also be a Barnevelder... please help I need to know what breed she is before I place her in shows.. she is approximately 16weeks old

Attachments

• D04D2A72-88FF-4C7C-BE38-51FCACE46B75.jpeg
    D04D2A72-88FF-4C7C-BE38-51FCACE46B75.jpeg
    617.6 KB · Views: 265
  • DC60270C-D7C7-4E82-B715-C3D44C564A53.jpeg
    DC60270C-D7C7-4E82-B715-C3D44C564A53.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 178
I know it’s definitely a pullet because she’s raising 2 ducklings during the day a cockerel wouldn’t do this or show this show sort of behaviour (at night I bring the ducklings in to keep them warm and safe) will try and get some better photos of her
He’s most likely a cockerel.

Here’s a picture of my cochin cockerel “mothering” a bantam chick.
86A5DB77-91E0-49FA-812F-9CFDAD610364.jpeg

This is him once he got older.
B79FA2E0-5697-4CA9-9B43-FC4C85814D49.jpeg

I wouldn't trust a vet that's willing to vent sex a chick of this age. Vent sexing is only possible within the first day after hatch.

Sexing chickens is what we do here all day, every day. He is not feminine at all. In fact he has a very course head. Like that of a cockerel. He also has male specific coloring and what I believe to be saddles coming in. Not all cockerels have giant wattles or combs. Especially rose combed breeds.

If he is as small as you say he is, and is 16 weeks old, you most likely have a failure to thrive chick as well. He looks more like 9 weeks.

We are just trying to save you the heartache that you're setting yourself up for. (And possibly money that you could spend on more chickens instead of sketchy vets. Because you can't have too many chickens. No such thing! 😜)

If that is a pullet, I will eat my proverbial hat and denounce Bantam Cochins. Update us in 3 weeks with photos showing the saddle area.

Last edited:
I know you've been told this a good many times already, but he is indeed a cockerel.

Vent sexing is not a great idea, it can be risky unless done by an expert, and the majority of vets aren't experts on chickens.

You did start this to find the breed and not the sex. This is one of the great things about BYC.
If we know he's male, we're not going to shrug our shoulders and leave you to find out later.
BYC also has some of the most accurate sexers I've seen.

I'm sorry that they gave you extra information that you didn't want to hear. I hope you can sort things out with the seller.

Yes I paid for a pullet and was told both prior to me travelling to pick her up and once I got there that she was 100% definitely a girl...
Did you discuss the event of what would happen if it turned out to be a cockerel? I would just tentatively touch base.

With the exception of two people I think, the best sexers on this forum have all said cockerel. Feel free to dig through our track records. Just don't like it when someone pays for a pullet and gets a cockerel. Especially when they can't keep one.

I even said to the seller... now it’s definitely a girl isn’t coz I can’t have roos where I live in town and I would hate to raise her and get attached to her just for her to turn out to be a roo... and the lady/girl said “she’s definitely a girl dad has sexed them and these ones in this pen are all 100% girls” ”the boys are further up the yard in a different pen”
I don't think dad knew what he was doing. Just like they didn't know what breed it was or what age it was.

People on here are either experts or experts in training. There’s room for mistakes - so long as they are corrected.
We know chickens.
And anyone who comes on here who doesn’t quickly learns.
I know this to be true.
@EmmaRainboe knows this too.
And so many others.
We are not stupid. We are not cruel or trying to lie to you. We see male feathers on your bird. Just because everyone on Facebook says it’s a hen doesn’t mean they’re right.
Just because you paid a vet to tell you what you wanted to hear doesn’t mean it was the truth.
I’m sorry that you don’t believe us now.
But soon, I promise you, soon.....Audrey won’t stop crowing or growing shiny feathers.
I've seen lots of posts in this thread thread stating that Audrey is male.
I've seen the Original Poster's reasons for continuing to believe that Audrey is female.

It looks to me like we should all just sit back and wait a few months, because then the answer will be obvious. No amount of arguing will change the facts, but time will make those same facts more clear.

Personally, I would like to continue to see updates as time passes and Audrey matures--but if the mods close this thread for too much arguing, then we will never see updates in THIS thread where they are easy to find.

Back
Top Bottom