Need help identifying what happened to my feed

What is the difference between a starter versus the grower? I put my hens on layer feed in the spring and summer but switched to starter when I got him bc they stopped laying at that point. I don't think they make his food in grower but I can look around if needed.
Less protein actually. I never feed layer. I only ever feed a Grower finisher and supply Hens with oyster shell.

What is the difference between a starter versus the grower? I put my hens on layer feed in the spring and summer but switched to starter when I got him bc they stopped laying at that point. I don't think they make his food in grower but I can look around if needed.
Click on the link "Feed comparison spreadsheet" below, in my signature and you can see the feed's guaranteed analysis side by side to see the differences for yourself.

I have cleaned all feeders and will replace shavings tmrw in case some bad feed spilled out.

So far no signs of illness. Regarding my rooster I still am unsure what's wrong. His symptoms fit a variety of issues including mold. He has a pale comb and instability and yellow urates. He is five months old. But he acts fine otherwise. Eats good and poop is normal otherwise. He had coccidia with oregano treatment in November and got pale in December. I read oregano can prevent iron absorption so it could be anemia as well. I have no idea. Currently I'm giving him vitamins alternating with acv, milk thistle in case it's liver related, and raw burger with vitamin c in case it's anemia. I'm trying to cover all my bases bc I have no idea what is wrong. I'm hoping for improvement in his comb color and urates and then I'll be content.
Oregano is not a cure of coccidia. His insides could be "torn up" from the untreated coccidia which is causing him to physically not be able to absorb the proper nutrition from the feed.

Oregano is not a cure of coccidia. His insides could be "torn up" from the untreated coccidia which is causing him to physically not be able to absorb the proper nutrition from the feed.

I gave him three rounds of corid at the correct dosage and for the correct duration back in October and November and it kept recurring. I refused to go another round as it had proven to me it was not going to work and I lost a hen years ago to thiamine deficiency from repeated corid use. As a last resort I diluted one drop of oregano per two tsp of olive oil and gave him one drop twice a day for one week and then once a day for two weeks. This is the only thing that worked for him so I have to respectfully disagree with you on that. I use both western and natural medicine based on what works. I usually start with western medicine and if that fails I move to alternatives. I have never been a fan of oregano but it actually did work when nothing else would.

No more oats...Buy some scratch grains to give on occasion. Mine like cucumbers, Apple, cooked spaghetti squash, broccoli, Peas etc. Only twice a week in small amounts.

I agree on the oats. I think it's decreasing their feed intake too much. Same with the sprouted wheat. I do try to avoid corn in scratch grains bc my older hen has liver issues and for some reason smells like corn all the time.

Back
Top Bottom