Need help identifying what happened to my feed

Pics

mama23

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 5, 2009
I mistakenly had moved my entire bag outside for about a month where it was kept away from rain (it has rained here a lot this past year) in their chicken run but the ground was damp. It apparently soaked in through the bag but the temps have been very cold. Had not noticed any issues with the feed but since my rooster was sick I was looking at every option. So when I realized my food was in a damp area I brought the feed in my house and within a few days I guess it was warm enough in my house that it began to just stink. I thought it smelled like molasses. My daughter described it as cantaloupe. A very sweet smell. My husband said it didn't smell like mold but smelled soured. I dumped it out and there were some wet clumps on the bottom but no fuzz and no obvious mold. Is it possible the feed just fermented? I use natures own organic starter.

I have replaced the feed with new feed and it smells normal. So there is definitely something wrong with the old bag. However they ate that feed for maybe four days after I brought it into my house. I'm just curious if this could be mold. I have them on acv in case that helps if t is mold. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have cleaned all feeders and will replace shavings tmrw in case some bad feed spilled out.

So far no signs of illness. Regarding my rooster I still am unsure what's wrong. His symptoms fit a variety of issues including mold. He has a pale comb and instability and yellow urates. He is five months old. But he acts fine otherwise. Eats good and poop is normal otherwise. He had coccidia with oregano treatment in November and got pale in December. I read oregano can prevent iron absorption so it could be anemia as well. I have no idea. Currently I'm giving him vitamins alternating with acv, milk thistle in case it's liver related, and raw burger with vitamin c in case it's anemia. I'm trying to cover all my bases bc I have no idea what is wrong. I'm hoping for improvement in his comb color and urates and then I'll be content.

I have cleaned all feeders and will replace shavings tmrw in case some bad feed spilled out.

So far no signs of illness. Regarding my rooster I still am unsure what's wrong. His symptoms fit a variety of issues including mold. He has a pale comb and instability and yellow urates. He is five months old. But he acts fine otherwise. Eats good and poop is normal otherwise. He had coccidia with oregano treatment in November and got pale in December. I read oregano can prevent iron absorption so it could be anemia as well. I have no idea. Currently I'm giving him vitamins alternating with acv, milk thistle in case it's liver related, and raw burger with vitamin c in case it's anemia. I'm trying to cover all my bases bc I have no idea what is wrong. I'm hoping for improvement in his comb color and urates and then I'll be content.
Oregano is not a cure of coccidia. His insides could be "torn up" from the untreated coccidia which is causing him to physically not be able to absorb the proper nutrition from the feed.

What is the difference between a starter versus the grower? I put my hens on layer feed in the spring and summer but switched to starter when I got him bc they stopped laying at that point. I don't think they make his food in grower but I can look around if needed.
Click on the link "Feed comparison spreadsheet" below, in my signature and you can see the feed's guaranteed analysis side by side to see the differences for yourself.

I've heard that the most effective treatment is removal of the source of fungus/Mold growth. Some food toxins increase requirements for vitamins, minerals, proteins and lipids. Increasing protein level, soluble vitamins, and added selenium .6mg/kg have showed beneficial at reducing the harmful effects of spoiled feed.

Last edited:
My feed is natures best organic starter and he is a salmon faverolle. He is five months and still a smallish comb and not crowing. Not sure if he is maturing late or what.
Try switching the feed to a grower finisher feed and stop all the additives to his diet. Just plain water and feed.

Back
Top Bottom