Mold pieces in feed

Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
Almost every bag I have opened from my local tractor supply has had clumps of mold in it. I use purina starter and nutrena layer pellets.(I have young girls and some laying) It's an issue with both. I also buy rabbit feed and that is fine. I am starting to think it's the stores quality control at this point? I will try to find a photo. The inside of the bag is dry and it's not the entire bag. Just pieces throughout. At first I just took those pieces out but now one of my hens have vent gleet and I am suspecting maybe from the feed. I am thinking of just ordering something online like scratch and peck or grubbly. Thoughts?

Sounds like the local store may not be storing the feed properly and letting it get wet? You should return it and get a refund. You should never feed chickens feed that has any mold in it, it can make chickens sick or even cause death. I've ordered feed online a few times from Chewy when I couldn't make it to the store and had no issues or complaints.

Take any feed like that back to the store! Are you buying fresh feed, by the mill date on each bag? If it's old, and/ or badly stored, complain! And buy something else, or shop elsewhere.
Any bag that looks 'wrong', avoid it. And store feed in it's original bag in a closed metal garbage can, protected from damp.
Mary

Thanks, I am not sure if I even trust getting another bag because it's been almost every single bag of chicken feed this year has had a few clumps of mold throughout the bag. I'm going to try chewy, or another place online. They were all "good" and I thoroughly check bags for holes when I get them in the store. Some times I did pick up orders and they loaded it in the van for me. It is very frustrating! I have a metal trash can I store feed in. I usually dump the bag in, but should I place the whole bag and feed in the can rather than dumping the contents from the bag? Or doesn't matter? But that's how I notice the mold throughout the bag is when I empty the bag into the can. So frustrating!

Given you've had several bags with this issue, i would be asking the store manager to open the bags and prove the contents before you go to all the lifting of taking it home only having to return it. Grrr, I would be naming and shaming that store on fb or similar - that usually gets a good responce from quality control.

Thanks, I am not sure if I even trust getting another bag because it's been almost every single bag of chicken feed this year has had a few clumps of mold throughout the bag. I'm going to try chewy, or another place online. They were all "good" and I thoroughly check bags for holes when I get them in the store. Some times I did pick up orders and they loaded it in the van for me. It is very frustrating! I have a metal trash can I store feed in. I usually dump the bag in, but should I place the whole bag and feed in the can rather than dumping the contents from the bag? Or doesn't matter? But that's how I notice the mold throughout the bag is when I empty the bag into the can. So frustrating!
I don't know that it matters. We use huge sealed plastic tubs we dump ours in, but our farmer neighbor across the road has 4 garbage cans she dumps her feed in for the various animals.

Sounds like the local store may not be storing the feed properly and letting it get wet? You should return it and get a refund. You should never feed chickens feed that has any mold in it, it can make chickens sick or even cause death. I've ordered feed online a few times from Chewy when I couldn't make it to the store and had no issues or complaints.
I agree totally. I think it's your store. For years I purchased crumble layer feed (Dumor) from TSC and never had a single issue. I do now order different stuff from Chewy just for my own personal reasons and no problems with theirs ever either.

Given you've had several bags with this issue, i would be asking the store manager to open the bags and prove the contents before you go to all the lifting of taking it home only having to return it. Grrr, I would be naming and shaming that store on fb or similar - that usually gets a good responce from quality control.
I am very upset, if it was a one time thing thats one thing. But since it's been an ongoing issue I don't even want to shop there anymore. I may even find another feed farm store nearby instead. So frustrating!

Back
Top Bottom