Need help identifying what happened to my feed

Scratch grains is indeed only for adult chickens if you read the label. The earliest on chicken feed charts it is recommended is 28 weeks or greater. Technically not adult till a year of age. There is better protein out there as well such as dried mealworms.
Good grief..Seriously it's not a big deal. I raise many Birds without issues here. Many chicks started with Broody hens.
We all do things differently...

Last edited:
Pale comb and yellow urates could also be lice, mites, or worms. I would check for these as well. If no improvement on good feed, water, no treats would see a vet as problem may have gone on too long.
He has had weird instances of losing feathers with blood on the ends. I still haven't figured out this enigma. I have dusted him and looked him over and found nothing. I was told by someone there is such a thing as a depluming mite and that is a possibility but it seems the treatment for that is ivermectin and I am afraid to use that given his recent health problems. I did read about something called flower sulfur I think.

You mentioned you had to use a few rounds of Corid back then. One round of Corid should have solved the problem if it was a " regular" strain of coccidia.
My point is that the damage done to his intestines back then/at that time...could have been irreversible.

That's what I'm afraid of. That maybe he is anemic as a result of blood loss and unable to absorb iron etc bc of the damage. I remember reading back then that one bad bout can damage them and cause future health issues. In October he was six weeks old and still had bleeding for four days despite starting corid. In the past when I had different chickens it cleared up with one treatment (with the exception of my hen mentioned previously and she had other issues). I am afraid the oregano has caused issues with iron absorption as well. I didn't know this until a few days ago.

IMG_7653.JPG
This is a recent picture of him. 21 weeks.

Yes that is the same rooster. His urates have improved since then. I am going on the hunt for some new feed. Can you share your favorite feed? I'm not against ordering online if it's not local for me. I called tractor supply about poultry cell yesterday and both stores were out. I was nervous about using it bc I don't completely know if his liver is compromised and read that red cell and poultry cell are heavy metals that are hard on the liver. I know nothing about any of it. I also do not want to add it to water since I don't want my girls on it right now. I need to be able to dose him individually.

Yes that is the same rooster. His urates have improved since then. I am going on the hunt for some new feed. Can you share your favorite feed? I'm not against ordering online if it's not local for me. I called tractor supply about poultry cell yesterday and both stores were out. I was nervous about using it bc I don't completely know if his liver is compromised and read that red cell and poultry cell are heavy metals that are hard on the liver. I know nothing about any of it. I also do not want to add it to water since I don't want my girls on it right now. I need to be able to dose him individually.
Well, I don't feed organic. I use a 20% all flock type feed. Purina Flock Raiser or southern states brand. I feed these year round.
I do use Poultry Cell and Poultry Nutri-Drench, but the Nutri-Drench does not have the B vitamins like the PC.
You can direct dose either of these at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight. I would only direct dose for about 3 days in a row. Excess B vitamins are excreted in the urine, so you can't really "overload" on those, but still I like the limit the amount of time I direct dose a bird.

Red Cell, I'm not familiar with - that's formulated for horses correct?
Here's an easy way to direct dose
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

Back
Top Bottom