Need Help Identifying What Is Wrong

tonya1976

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012

I came in from work last night and my husband showed me our three bantams bottoms. Don't know what it is nor what to do about it. Also need to know were to purchase antibiotics for them. Thanks

You mean all of a sudden there is this naked area? Watch them and see if one or more is pulling feathers on the others. This can be because they don't have enough space, because they are bored, without much to do or because they need more protein in their diet.

I would just cover the bare skin with some type of wound cream; NuStock works well, just be sure and knead and mix up the tube before using, otherwise it's real runny. It has sulfa powder in it and will dry to a yellowish white crust.

Last edited:
They have a 8 x 8 pen, they are feed five layer scratch and there is only 1 rooster and 3 hens. It started 2 or 3 days ago.

I wish I knew where to get it too! Here are some possibilitis on why this is happening:
Not enough protien in diet. [what is the protien count on your feed?]
Bugs/ lice/mites/etc....
Your pen sounds large enough.
What kind of bedding do you use? Has it been changed recently?
It looks like there are scabs on roos bottom. Is he the only one eith a bare bottom?

We use hay and shavings and it get changed at least 3 times a week. The protein count on the bag is 10.0 % (just the protein). And no he is not the only one that has it two of the other hens have it. So out of 4 of them 3 have the problem.

OK, I am guessing at possibilities now. Protien count is too low, should be more like 14/16%.
Feathers have protien and chicken will eat them if searching for more.
Bad infestation of external parasites ie: mites/lice/etc...
Worms
Try upping the protien, you can feed mealworms/crickets/hard boiled eggs/ etc.... checking them for bugs. You can put either Blue-cote [spray] or wound powder [these are horse products] or if you can find NuStock, that would ne #1 on the list to put on the skin.
How old are your "kids"....

They are 7 months and we have put styrofoam in with them to help keep them from pulling feathers. Do you have any idea what type of antibiotics to get for one that has a watery eye and closed guessing it is from being peeked and a couple have runny noses.

They are 7 months and we have put styrofoam in with them to help keep them from pulling feathers. Do you have any idea what type of antibiotics to get for one that has a watery eye and closed guessing it is from being peeked and a couple have runny noses.

What is the styroform for??? All I know about that stuff is chickens LOVED to eat it. shred it etc...

A good antibiotic to start with is TYLAN50 and injections are the best waya to go in MY opinion. Other put the meds in the water, but when you give it =by injection you KNOW its gotten its proper dose. size 22 gauge needle or smaller, 1/2cc. once a day for 4 days.....hope that is helpfull.

Back
Top Bottom