Need help ID'ing the color of a BS hen

Hard to photograph, helps to have natural light and be positioned where the light is reflecting off the bird towards the camera
cool.png

Viewed from the other direction, the "sheen" is not as noticeable, and viewed from farther away, the hen's neck feathers don't appear dark...

That is what my Purple barred wing hens have on the back of their necks, I expected something similar on the back of a Purple BS hen's neck. What she had though, was a very bright blue/green sheen...very Teal.

I don't know anything about purples! But...Could the teal just be from the BS? Based upon the pictures I have seen here, the green seems to appear to differing degrees on BS hen necks. Our Little Yellow, who as far as I know is just a regular ol' IBBS, has more green on her neck than some of the other BS hens I've seen here..

I don't know anything about purples! But...Could the teal just be from the BS? Based upon the pictures I have seen here, the green seems to appear to differing degrees on BS hen necks. Our Little Yellow, who as far as I know is just a regular ol' IBBS, has more green on her neck than some of the other BS hens I've seen here..

Not an expert, but my understanding is that BS as a pattern will not affect the color. A BS hen usually has a tiny bit of color that is similar to that of the male of the same color. So a purple should have a tiny hint of Purple back there, a Bronze should have a tiny bit of Bronze, a Peach.....a tiny bit of Peach. I may be wrong, but I thought I saw that posted on this forum somewhere?
hu.gif
Little Yellow, without a doubt, has the most green I have ever seen on a BS hen.
love.gif

A BS hen usually has a tiny bit of color that is similar to that of the male of the same color. So a purple should have a tiny hint of Purple back there, a Bronze should have a tiny bit of Bronze, a Peach.....a tiny bit of Peach.
Oh, thanks for that info! I had no idea. Glad to learn something new!
clap.gif

Oh, thanks for that info! I had no idea. Glad to learn something new!
clap.gif

Guys, I am just repeating what I read, I can't verify that as correct info.
hu.gif
I just haven't seen enough colors of BS hens to know if it holds true or not. So I wouldn't hand out any more ovations until we know, it might just be a big pile of something fragrant!

Not an expert, but my understanding is that BS as a pattern will not affect the color. A BS hen usually has a tiny bit of color that is similar to that of the male of the same color. So a purple should have a tiny hint of Purple back there, a Bronze should have a tiny bit of Bronze, a Peach.....a tiny bit of Peach. I may be wrong, but I thought I saw that posted on this forum somewhere?
hu.gif
Little Yellow, without a doubt, has the most green I have ever seen on a BS hen.
love.gif

If we have some sun tomorrow I will try to drag that hen outside and take a better look at her neck. If she does have some blue or green I will try to take a better pic.

Back
Top Bottom