Need help! Is this molting?

FeatheredRaptor

Chirping
Feb 17, 2021
Louisiana
She hopped into my lap to get some rubs and I noticed she’s missing feathers. No blood or any injuries. She is part of my first batch and will be a year next month. Is this signs of molting, an aggressive rooster, other hens picking on her?
It’s on her back just above the tail feathers. Any help is much appreciated

Unless your chickens are in very tight quarters leaving nowhere to run when picked on it's probably not pecking as the pecking order is usually established by now. As for molting every chicken is different and will molt differently. Some only lose a few feathers and then some may be bald all over. If she eating fine and not lathargic and the other chick are not avoiding her like the plague then she be fine in no time.

Unless your chickens are in very tight quarters leaving nowhere to run when picked on it's probably not pecking as the pecking order is usually established by now. As for molting every chicken is different and will molt differently. Some only lose a few feathers and then some may be bald all over. If she eating fine and not lathargic and the other chick are not avoiding her like the plague then she be fine in no time.
My chickens haven’t molted before. Have not seen any pecking or picking on each other. 11 hens to 1 roo and 15sqft per bird in the run

Yeah the other chickens are not avoiding her.

I have one hen that is bald on her sides and all around her vent and underside and two just starting to lose feathers. This is also my first full year of having birds so this post has made me feel a lot better. Thanks for all the knowledge and I absolutely love this forum!!

Back
Top Bottom