Need help making a decision ... wound and maggots

I agree that she needs to be washed up and examined closely to see exactly what you're dealing with.

If it is a prolapse that is infested, I'd cull her.

Thanks all,

I am still not sure just what the situation is. I don't think I can get a pic without anyone to help.

I don't think it's a prolapse from the vent though. It's hard to tell what's what down there ... she is a big mess. But I don't think it's that, unless that would be small.

Around the vent area, ... it isn't smooth. It looks kinda like a big white worm hanging partially out (but it's not a worm, it seems to be part of the chicken). It all moves when she breathes.

The main injury is several inches forward of the vent. It looks like ... well, I don't know how to say what it looks like. A lot of flesh seems to be missing from the end of the breast tissue. It looks like the bone is not far from being exposed. The shape of the bone is very apparent, but it still has some meat on it.

I've been washing her in a separate area, and the maggots are way down. I can still see a few when I go to wash her again. She's also bothered by other small insects that find her wherever I put her.

She actually seems to feel a little better. She's grooming herself just a little, and she fights me now. She is drinking water, but not too interested in food. She mostly wants to hide in a corner and be left alone.

I need to try feed stores in town ... so far I haven't been able to get any antibiotics or blu-kote for her. I've been looking for blu-kote for about a month though because another of my red x-links is missing feathers on the shoulder and I suspect the others are picking on her. She's rather low-ranking. But while she has a little bald spot, there's no bleeding, so I kept looking for the blu-kote but wasn't desperate like I am now.

I guess I'm going to just keep trying. She's not in very apparent distress, although I don't know if she would show me if she was. Since there is some improvement, I'll keep trying.

If anyone has any other suggestions or advice, I'd be glad to hear it. If I can get a pic of the area I will, but I'll have to find someone to help me hold her.

Thanks so much everyone,

trish

I wouldnt worry about the blu-kote as long as she is seperated from the flock. I would get her going on anti-biotics and electrolytes. You may need to try chick starter mash or layer mash or yogurt to get her to eat.

Good luck
fl.gif

I should have thanked oldtimegator here in public. I received a pm and replied there instead. It was a VERY kind offer, and I so much appreciated it!

Unfortunately, I'm about a 7 hour drive from Gainesville. But it means a lot that someone offered to help my girl.
smile.png

Just when things are at their worst, people come along to make you realize there are still lots of very wonderful people in the world.
smile.png

Thanks again,

trish

There are some really nice, genuine people on this forum.
I agree that you have to do what is right for you and your situation. It sounds pretty bad for this bird and if she does not seem to be pulling through then to cull her quickly is the kindest thing. You need to remember that you are doing your best and it is not always easy but do what is best for the bird and you.

Appreciate your kind words...I'm sure we can find someone coming this way and you can send her in a crate with them. I'll keep her and work with her until she's better then send her back home.

I'm a registered nurse and managed a thoroughbred horse farm for 15 years so I'm pretty good at doctoring/nursing animals!!

If anyone who reads this post knows ANYONE coming from the panhandle of Florida toward Gainesville...please let either of us know. I'll see what I can drum up...in the meantime...praying for peace and strength for you.

Thanks,

She seems alittle stronger today. At least she is surviving, and seems to be better. I'll keep doing what I can. She doesn't seem to need that much care after all.

Thanks for the offer of prayers. I feel like there's some kind of dark cloud over my house ... one of my ducks died last week, and our pet cat of 10 years is missing. Fortunately, the other cat with surgery is improving now. I was starting to be afraid we'd lose him, and he's one of my favorite animals. But early this morning one of the kittens starting convulsing, and when I took him to the vet, they said they can't do anything. He was in liver failure.

It's time for things to change around here, I'm going through a very bad custody battle too, and I just don't want to deal with any more tragedies.

Thanks again for the help,

trish

Back
Top Bottom