Need help, male or female?

tcoli0546k

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 18, 2013
We have 2 beautiful and loving orpingtons and would like to know the sex. we are in the market for around 5 to six more but want to make sure we have only females. any help would be great! thanks

How old are they, and where did you get them? The red and white one is not an Orpington. It looks more like a Red Star (also called Red Sex-Link). The other one could be a Splash Orpington, and, if younger than twelve weeks or so, I think you have a rooster. It just have a very large red comb, thick legs, and roosterish stance.

Sorry, neither of those birds are Orpingtons. I agree, knowing where you got them (basically, did they come from a hatchery or private breeder) and how old they are will help figure out what they are. The red/white one has the basic coloring of a sex link hen, but the coloring is off and it looks like a mixed breed. The white bird looks male, and either a mixed breed or one of the layer hybrids I'm not familiar with.

Thanks for the input! Ill take all the help I can get. These two came from a local farm, ( my wife took my daughter and surprised me when I got home with the two chicken.) I have always wanted to raise chickens and look forward to taking care of many more. We just built a 4/8 coop and are about to create a 20/10 run off of that. The owner of the farm said they were buff orpington and was not sure of the age. A couple weeks on the farm and now 3 at my home. Once the new coop and pen are in place how do you suggest matching breeds and where to buy from. Should I wait to take the white on back or just pull the trigger and take him back.

Those are Red SLs, and you can see their number one feature at action: gender easily ID'ed by color. Males are mainly white, while females are mainly red/orange. You have a pair.

We have 2 beautiful and loving orpingtons and would like to know the sex. we are in the market for around 5 to six more but want to make sure we have only females. any help would be great! thanks
looks like a hen. Feel the sides of legs. There are tiny little nubs if its a cock

Quote:
All chickens have spur bumps, regardless of gender. Eventually males tend to develop bigger ones, but that's after a year or so of life. There will be other more obvious signs of male-ness first.

Back
Top Bottom