need help mingling my new chickens to the old ones

mamahen315

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2017
Hi!

Long story short I had five Rhode Island Reds,about 1 year old, but now I only have three... I've been wanting to add more to my flock and tonight I have. I got two langshan chickens who are also 1 year old.

I probably shouldn't have put them all together right away cause within minutes, one of my reds went after one of the newbies. I don't know if it's "playing" or not so I immediately separated them.

I have a coop from tractor supply that holds 6 birds and attached to it is a fenced in A-frame we made. So I put my three reds in the coop house and the two newbies to the flock in the A-frame.

Both areas have roosting bars, food and water. ... and I'll let my Reds out during the day as usual. I don't feel comfortable letting the other two out yet. ... they all can see each other now but with chicken wire fencing in between them..

My question is how long should I keep them like this?

I took the langshans because I read they were calm birds and my Reds have never been aggressive to each other or the cats in the neighborhood or to my baby who crawls around near them...so I hope they will all blend well in time like the lady who I bought the two from said, and she has plenty of chickens ducks and turkeys all together.

Please help and ease my worries. Thanks!!!

Hi!

Long story short I had five Rhode Island Reds,about 1 year old, but now I only have three... I've been wanting to add more to my flock and tonight I have. I got two langshan chickens who are also 1 year old.

I probably shouldn't have put them all together right away cause within minutes, one of my reds went after one of the newbies. I don't know if it's "playing" or not so I immediately separated them.

I have a coop from tractor supply that holds 6 birds and attached to it is a fenced in A-frame we made. So I put my three reds in the coop house and the two newbies to the flock in the A-frame.

Both areas have roosting bars, food and water. ... and I'll let my Reds out during the day as usual. I don't feel comfortable letting the other two out yet. ... they all can see each other now but with chicken wire fencing in between them..

My question is how long should I keep them like this?

I took the langshans because I read they were calm birds and my Reds have never been aggressive to each other or the cats in the neighborhood or to my baby who crawls around near them...so I hope they will all blend well in time like the lady who I bought the two from said, and she has plenty of chickens ducks and turkeys all together.

Please help and ease my worries. Thanks!!!
Well, you should let your newbies roam, I would think because they half enough space to run away from the RIRs.

Well, you should let your newbies roam, I would think because they half enough space to run away from the RIRs.

So you think tomorrow when I let my RIRs out that I should the others too? Or wait a few days so they get used to the coop home atleast ...so they know where to come home too?

Well first off, if you have a small cage, introduce them for around 15 minutes in the cage. When you let them free range together though, be sure to watch them. Also get a pistol ready just in case the chickens get rough. Just joking :lau

Well first off, if you have a small cage, introduce them for around 15 minutes in the cage. When you let them free range together though, be sure to watch them. Also get a pistol ready just in case the chickens get rough. Just joking :lau

Ha. Ok good. I am hesitant to have the two new ones free range yet..but thanks for the heads up about watching them free range together.... I'll be sure to walk around with my rake. I hope I don't regret my decision.

Look up nighttime introduction in my opinion it works the best. I personally would not let the new guys range for A few days and keep them locked up in the run and coop for the next three to four days. By that time it will be weekend and you can watch what happens. Also remember the new guys will get pecked at first

Long story short I had.......
Welcome to BYC!

I have a coop from tractor supply that holds 6 birds
Hmmm, probably only good for 3...prefabs are notorious for overstating a healthy population capacity....and that could be part of the problem, or may make long term harmony more difficult. Pics, and dimensions, of coop and run would help to know what you are dealing with here.

Might want to keep the newbies confined for at least a few days if not longer, so they don't run off when let loose. They need to 'home' to their new surroundings.

Integration Basics:

It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Back
Top Bottom