Need help! Momma duck was killed

jessbe

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 20, 2014
Ohio
At my father in laws house they had a mallard I think and was sitting on eggs and last night something got her and we are going to incubate her eggs and after let them go back into the wild but those poor things what can we do. We just started with chickens.

What temp does the incubator need to be and humidity and after they hatch do they need to be kept warm like chickens

At my father in laws house they had a mallard I think and was sitting on eggs and last night something got her and we are going to incubate her eggs and after let them go back into the wild but those poor things what can we do. We just started with chickens.

What temp does the incubator need to be and humidity and after they hatch do they need to be kept warm like chickens
that would be killing those ducklings if u incubate the eggs they become ur responsibility to raise and keep as pets.

its illegal to raise something and then abandon it

What you are considering is well intentioned, but very misguided. The problem comes in that your intent is to release the resulting ducklings back into the wild - and that is where this plan becomes a cruelty rather than a rescue. Once hatched, the ducklings will have to be raised to a point where they would be mature enough for release to be a consideration - unfortunately, in the time it takes to reach that point they would have been raised by humans rather than a wild duck mother and would not be equipped to survive in the wild. Further there are the legal ramifications as removal and release of wildlife is an area where one can get themselves in serious legal troubles....keeping the ducklings as "pets" rather than releasing would be similarly illegal as then you are in possession of wildlife without proper permitting.
As strange as this sounds from a human emotional standpoint, the kindest thing you can do is nothing at all.

Last edited:
that would be killing those ducklings if u incubate the eggs they become ur responsibility to raise and keep as pets.

its illegal to raise something and then abandon it 

What you are considering is well intentioned, but very misguided.  The problem comes in that your intent is to release the resulting ducklings back into the wild - and that is where this plan becomes a cruelty rather than a rescue.  Once hatched, the ducklings will have to be raised to a point where they would be mature enough for release to be a consideration - unfortunately, in the time it takes to reach that point they would have been raised by humans rather than a wild duck mother and would not be equipped to survive in the wild.  Further there are the legal ramifications as removal and release of wildlife is an area where one can get themselves in serious legal troubles....keeping the ducklings as "pets" rather than releasing would be similarly illegal as then you are in possession of wildlife without proper permitting.
As strange as this sounds from a human emotional standpoint, the kindest thing you can do is nothing at all.

My goodness I didn't know that. I just feel so bad just to leave them there. But if it's illegal then there is nothing we can do.

Thank you guys for your help
heartbroken but thankful

What you are considering is well intentioned, but very misguided.  The problem comes in that your intent is to release the resulting ducklings back into the wild - and that is where this plan becomes a cruelty rather than a rescue.  Once hatched, the ducklings will have to be raised to a point where they would be mature enough for release to be a consideration - unfortunately, in the time it takes to reach that point they would have been raised by humans rather than a wild duck mother and would not be equipped to survive in the wild.  Further there are the legal ramifications as removal and release of wildlife is an area where one can get themselves in serious legal troubles....keeping the ducklings as "pets" rather than releasing would be similarly illegal as then you are in possession of wildlife without proper permitting.

What can he do to help with the wild ducks. Could he build some nesting boxes on the creek bed or something?

Back
Top Bottom