need help my ducks got a wonky tail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teasunn, Mar 12, 2018.

1. teasunn

teasunn In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2018
    when he was around 1 month old he got dropped on his back, and then his tail has been bent down ever since , he seemed fine doing well and normal so we didn't have a problem till now. he is now 4months and he has lost feathers in a patch at the end of his tail. there are holes from the feathers and I don't know what to do. what's wrong with him

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. pvaldes

pvaldes Chirping

Feb 26, 2018
    Maybe an old fracture in the tail. There is a chain of small bones in this area that could collapse after pressure. Photos?

3. teasunn

teasunn In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2018
    Here

Attached Files:

4. pvaldes

pvaldes Chirping

Feb 26, 2018
    In principle, looks more an attack than a parasite. Is alone?

Cats or small dogs with sharp fangs in the area? feathers with blood in the basis floating around?

Use antiseptic on the area, look for strange bodies or gun pellets inside. Not probable but we should discard that. You should be able to feel it with a gentle touch of your fingers (use a glove)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. teasunn

teasunn In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2018
    No blood around or cats, we have found fox dens up the back though. they might have pups? our neighbors dogs have killed our ducks before. also I have been using antiseptic on it. but yeah ill check him. I was just not sure on why his tail is going down. I have seen ducks put their tail down but his is always down. I thought maybe it could be broken or something. but if he is doing fine I thought I don't have to worry to much.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: