Need help... not sure what's wrong

twcems

Hatching
Nov 16, 2016
Hey guys hoping someone can help me out here. Im new to raising chickens and have a mixed flock. While feeding today found one of my hens hiding. Got her out to check on her and found she is missing a lot of feathers in her back. She is very lethargic and not herself. She is still eating and drinking. She has a strong oder xoming from her as well. Where the feathers are missing there apears to be a hole as well. Any help would be appriciated not sure what to do for her. I have her seperated from the rest of the flock right now. Thanks in advance for the help.

Hope the pictures loaded ok

welcome-byc.gif
Sorry for the problem. It does appear as if she has been injured by being overbred, and the rest of the flock has been pecking at/cannibalizing her. She will need to be isolated from the flock, and antibiotic ointment applied to the wound. If the wound is extremely large, it might be kinder to cull her.

I do have a rooster. The black spot you can see in the pic looks necrotic and like an ulcer almost.

As bad as I hate to cull her think that's my only option. The pic really don't do it justice. I was worried maybe it was something contagious didn't think about the others attacking her. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom