NEED HELP ON What is a good in depth book on poultry genetics?

I read it once, but it was some years ago.
I don't remember noticing anything specifically about gamefowl.
They should have the same genes as other chickens--pea comb vs. single comb work the same in any breed, color genetics work the same in any breed, and so forth.

For the genetics of chicken colors, there are some good online resources too.
https://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingKipFlexTree.html
https://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm
That's a calculator where you can select genes from a drop-down box and see the chicken pictures change, and calculate the offspring from a given cross; and a page that talks about the color genetics.

Thanks I will been looking at the website. (It is kind of difficult to understand so it will take me time to understand stand it)

Thanks I will been looking at the website. (It is kind of difficult to understand so it will take me time to understand stand it)

Understanding it definitely takes a lot of work!

One thing I found helpful was to just play with the calculator--not making it calculate breedings, but changing one gene and watching the pictures change, then trying another one.

Some of the genes have effects that are pretty obvious, and some only make noticeable differences when they're with certain other ones. The first one in the caculator--labeled "E"--has a big effect, and many of the other genes react differently depending on what is selected there.

A few others near the top of the list interact in various ways to make lots of different patterns in the feathers: Co (Columbian), Db (dark brown--name has little to do with what it really does), Ml (melanotic), Pg (pattern gene).

The genes further down the list are ones I find simpler to understand. For example, S (silver) changes all gold-color in the feathers into silver (white). I is the symbol for Dominant White, which turns all black into white. Bl is blue, which changes black into blue or splash. B is barring, which puts white bars on the feathers. mo is mottling, a recessive so you need two copies to do anything, but then it puts a pattern of dots on the chicken. c is recessive white, where two copies of the gene makes the entire chicken white, no matter what other genes it may have.

One thing I found helpful was to just play with the calculator--not making it calculate breedings, but changing one gene and watching the pictures change, then trying another one.

Some of the genes have effects that are pretty obvious, and some only make noticeable differences when they're with certain other ones. The first one in the caculator--labeled "E"--has a big effect, and many of the other genes react differently depending on what is selected there.

A few others near the top of the list interact in various ways to make lots of different patterns in the feathers: Co (Columbian), Db (dark brown--name has little to do with what it really does), Ml (melanotic), Pg (pattern gene).

The genes further down the list are ones I find simpler to understand. For example, S (silver) changes all gold-color in the feathers into silver (white). I is the symbol for Dominant White, which turns all black into white. Bl is blue, which changes black into blue or splash. B is barring, which puts white bars on the feathers. mo is mottling, a recessive so you need two copies to do anything, but then it puts a pattern of dots on the chicken. c is recessive white, where two copies of the gene makes the entire chicken white, no matter what other genes it may have.
Thanks. For me somethings are in different language are you having this problem?

Thanks for your great help and explanation. Could you please tell me what is black breasted red called on the calculator?

I am also new to learning chicken genetics. I was inspired to learn genetics when I unintentionally created a gorgeous crested black sex link cross from a Golden Appenzeller Spitzhauben rooster x Dominique hen
(here they are at 10 weeks old)
10 weeks_dom-spitz.jpg

The kippenjungle.nl genetics calculator looked really useful, but made my head explode when I tried to use it... until I read this book:
21st Century Poultry Breeding by Grant Brereton
https://www.amazon.com/21st-Century...t+Brereton&s=books&sr=1-2&text=Grant+Brereton

There were lots of great explanations & illustrations in the book that helped me understand the basics, and then I was able to go back to the genetics calculator and other online resources and understand enough to make a plan for some intentional crosses of my own. Starting in Feb 2021--I'm going for a gorgeous, predator savvy, free ranging, cold & heat hardy, productive blue egg layer with either a rose or horned comb. Depending on how close to white these girls' eggs turn out to be, they might become part of the plan.

Back
Top Bottom