NEED HELP ON What is a good in depth book on poultry genetics?

You can make a good all arounder, but cold hardy is not heat hardy.

Cold hardy =tiny comb and tiny wattles to help conserve heat and stay warm.

Heat hardy =huge comb and huge wattles to radiate heat as fast as possible to cool off.

Here in Southern Missouri, we need to have both. Although maybe my definition of heat + cold hardy is your all-arounder?

Most of my breeds were new chicks in late February, so they haven't been through a winter. But my Dominiques did very well last winter, with no supplemental heat and temps in the low teens overnight, and also handled the summer with ease (90-95 F and 80-90% humidity). Our young Golden Appenzeller Spitzhaubens (tiny horned comb) and Speckled Sussex pullets (single comb) struggled the most over the past summer, but were all very good at finding shade and holding their wings out (like they were posing for Vogue or doing a funky little dance as they walked). I was worried but with plenty of water available, they all did fine.

I'll be replacing my huge comb/huge wattles Cream Legbar roosters with a rose-combed Dominique x Cream Legbar cockerel. I plan to then cross him with my Legbar hens (selected for smallest combs) in the Spring. I will also be crossing my Spitz rooster x Speckled Sussex hens. I hope to get something beautifully speckled and spangled, smaller than a Sussex and larger than a Spitz, with a horned comb, laying white or barely tinted eggs. I also have some young Dominique x Spitz pullets who haven't developed their combs yet, but who might become candidates to breed back to my blue layers, depending on how darkly tinted their eggs turn out to be.

I think it's out of print, so the only hard copies are very expensive

The one called 21st Century Poultry Breeding, by Grant Brereton, was first published in 2000 (according to the copyright in the Kindle preview.)

I think it probably has never existed in printed form, just in the Kindle form. I was also disappointed that there is no printed copy available, because I was hoping to buy one.

(The other book, Genetics of the Fowl by F.B. Hutt, has spent quite a few years out-of-print and physical copies are expensive.)

The one called 21st Century Poultry Breeding, by Grant Brereton, was first published in 2000 (according to the copyright in the Kindle preview.)

I think it probably has never existed in printed form, just in the Kindle form. I was also disappointed that there is no printed copy available, because I was hoping to buy one.

(The other book, Genetics of the Fowl by F.B. Hutt, has spent quite a few years out-of-print and physical copies are expensive.)
So are there any good books on genetics still in print and easy to find?

So are there any good books on genetics still in print and easy to find?

I don't really think so.

Someone seems to have republished the Hutt one, so it can be bought for about $50 rather than even higher prices, and there is the kindle one that was mentioned earlier, but there just isn't much demand for books on chicken genetics--so publishers don't bother.

I was able to find it but it is expensive
946B765C-A913-47DA-98A6-9A79A4F15F5F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom