Need help! One chick died, how to introduce 1 more.

hmillie

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2016
Hello everyone. Here is my situation, I have a small backyard flock of 3 hens. I picked up 3 day old chicks on Saturday, but 1 died last night :(. My concern is if anything happens to either of the other two, then I will only have one chick to introduce to my existing flock and that seems unfair to the newbie. The breeder said I can come get a new chick from them (from the same hatching, they have a few left) but they said to be cautious of introducing just 1 chick to the other 2 chicks even though they are all the same age (about 6 days old.) Has anyone done this or similar. Any advice would be very appreciated.

I introduce new chicks up to 3 weeks age difference with no problem. Even at three weeks I don't have issues other than the older ones being faster and careless about stepping on the younger ones. I don't think you will have an issue at all, at 6 days old. Just keep an eye on them. Even better if you put them together at night while they're sleeping.

At this age, just put them together. They're still figuring out how to live, they're not heavily invested in a social structure yet.

Back
Top Bottom