NEED HELP! OUR CHICKEN ISN'T WALKING!!

ChickenRadio

Songster
8 Years
My chicken (A buff orpington somewhere around 4-5 years old) seems to be sick. She can barely stand and when she walks she tips over alot and has to use her wings for balance. A few years ago (Roughly three) she had a bad case of bumblefoot in one of her legs. After picking at it and using some medicine it went away but it had been so bad she couldnt use that foot very well but still limped along. But now her walking and balance isn't good at all. Her crop is empty and she hasn't been eating much. As far as i know she didnt have chicky breakfast and we hadnt fed them yet. This evening (now) she picked at some food and popcorn (No butter no salt) i gave her. She then proceeding to go over by some empty barrels we use for barrel-racing practice for the horses and layed down. Then she eliminated but her poop didn't look right. It was very watery and green. Shes been acting strange (i.e laying down alot. not eating much) but this is the first time shes shown these symptoms. Please help she is a dear member of the flock and family!

She sounds like she could have many different things wrong, but her symptoms sound like she is very weak and starving herself, and probably won't make it much longer. The green poops are common with not eating or wasting. It's possible that she may have some reproductive issue (egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, internal layer) that is common in older hens. Her bumblefoot could have caused staph infection in her bones. Mareks disease might be a possibility if another chicken recently brought it into the flock. I'm sorry that there are so many possible reasons for her illness. I would probably just make her comfortable, and give her some eggs and other favorite foods that might tempt her to eat.

She sounds like she could have many different things wrong, but her symptoms sound like she is very weak and starving herself, and probably won't make it much longer. The green poops are common with not eating or wasting. It's possible that she may have some reproductive issue (egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, internal layer) that is common in older hens. Her bumblefoot could have caused staph infection in her bones. Mareks disease might be a possibility if another chicken recently brought it into the flock. I'm sorry that there are so many possible reasons for her illness. I would probably just make her comfortable, and give her some eggs and other favorite foods that might tempt her to eat.
Hmm Okay. Thanks for the help. :)

Back
Top Bottom