Need help planning the space for the new chicks

AmandaRow

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 6, 2014
I am getting new babies to add to my flock in few weeks. They are ordered from idealpoultry.com so I am guessing they are shipped right after they are hatched. I plan to keep them in a shower area that we do not use. this is my idea. I will put a shower curtain down on the tile floor and tape it to the walls to seal it all the way around (this also will protect just incase water backs up, but I don't forsee that happening, but better safe then wish I had). Then that will be covered with a thick layer of Pine Shavings for bedding. I do need to build a 2 sided wall type thing. This is where I need help. I am figuring to use 2x4's to build and then attaching chicken wire to that. How high does that need to be to contain them until they are ready to go outside to the coop (we live in Florida so weather is not really an issue as to when to put them out)? When I attach the chicken wire should it be attached to the inside or the outside of the boards? I am ordering 10 pullets and they will have right around a 31 x 35 area. Is that big enough for 10 or do I need to expand that? Thanks for your help

The space will be fine, but the dust will be amazing! Do you have cats or dogs? If yes, plan to predator proof the chick's area. Hardware cloth, well framed, to the ceiling, etc. Glass shower doors will work fine, as long as they can't be opened by a pet. Can you set up a separate area in the coop for them instead? Mary

We do not have any cats. I do have a dog but she will be fine with them, she is fine with the 4 chickens we have now. We don't use the bathroom or shower at all that they will be in. Well other then for animals (I have our Worm Composter and an aquarium with MealWorms growing in there)... I do have to build something to extend the lip of the shower up.

Was your dog fine with the tiny chicks? Adult chickens and chicks are not the same at all, and small chicks can get through chicken wire! They look like yummy treats to many dogs. Mary

Back
Top Bottom