Need Help Please- Dog Poisoned- Emergency - Update - She Died

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TillinWithMyPeeps, Apr 4, 2009.

  1. TillinWithMyPeeps

    TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

    Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    My dog has been vomiting all day, and I think she may have been poisoned. I think it is probably something in the yard that she ate, like black walnuts or plant bulbs. The vet gave her a shot to control the vomiting, and also put something like an IV into her back to give her fluids. The vet also gave some pills that are supposed to control the vomiting.

    My question, does anyone know of anything else I can do to help my dog? She has trouble keeping anything down, even water.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
  2. farmgirlie1031

    farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Since she is still vomiting I probably wouldn't feed her at all right now and just try to keep some water down. Later I would try to feed her plain cooked rice. Maybe a tiny amount of cooked chicken. If she can keep that down then slowly start her back on her normal food.
     
  3. arllcountrygirl

    arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

    Give her some peroxide - this will help get anything else up that is poison. It is good she is puking -- at least she isn't keeping it all inside.

    Once you give her peroxide - she will throw up - let her -- then give her some time and offer gatorade or pedialite to her to drink. You don't want to see a lot of blood - you may see a little - this is from her straining.
     
  4. Jeff9118

    Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

    413
    2
    131
    Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    I worked at a pet store for several years but I am not a vet. I would recommend Piedialite instead of water and a small amount of pepto bismo. This what the store vet recommended other then what they could do.
     
  5. redhen

    redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

    35,112
    128
    458
    May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    dont do anything to induce vomiting if she is already vomiting...thats what my vet told me when i called in a panic once when my dog ate plastic bags...just give her the meds the vet gave you..good luck! [​IMG]
     
  6. jnjross

    jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    did your vet keep her?,,
     
  7. Goattalker

    Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

    162
    2
    109
    Mar 19, 2009
    I agree, follow your vet's advice. Everyone here is just guessing about your dog based upon your post, your vet has seen her, and you already paid for his education when you paid your bill. Rice with a little chicken is a great tummy soother, or you could try cooked rice with a little chicken broth or even a scrambled egg.

    If and when we suspect poisoning I administer charcoal from the pharmacy, no I don't crush briquettes, I buy human grade charcoal, it is cheap, and one of those things that when you need it, you don't have time to run to the store.

    Good luck with your dog, I know this must be scary. I'll be praying for you both.
     
  8. TillinWithMyPeeps

    TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

    Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Well, she is just laying there sleeping, I got some Charcocaps and gave one to her. She seems to be feeling a little better. I'll have to see what happens in the morning.

    Thanks for the help, I'll keep you updated.
     
  9. PoultryScienceAggie

    PoultryScienceAggie Chillin' With My Peeps

    207
    1
    121
    Aug 27, 2008
    College Station, TX
    Hope she gets better soon! [​IMG]
     
  10. Goattalker

    Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

    162
    2
    109
    Mar 19, 2009
    The charcoal is only effective if given immediately after the animal is poisoned, and when you give it you want to make sure they have lots of liquids, because it can get kind of hard in their intestines.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by