Need help please.

TheyLive

Chirping
May 20, 2020
My Americana (unknown age, adopted from farm) got sick. She had watery yellow stools, became lethargic and died. Now one of the other hens has the same stool. It’s yellow and watery, I did not see any worms. Coccidiosis? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• BC2C7376-9A39-4CF3-A90F-F4904CDBF567.jpeg
    BC2C7376-9A39-4CF3-A90F-F4904CDBF567.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
It's really hard to say what was actually wrong with your hen without a necropsy. A common killer in chickens is reproductive disorders, especially older birds. I have lost many over the years to reproductive problems that have had those same symptoms.

Is the other chicken with the watery stool acting ok?

It's really hard to say what was actually wrong with your hen without a necropsy. A common killer in chickens is reproductive disorders, especially older birds. I have lost many over the years to reproductive problems that have had those same symptoms.

Is the other chicken with the watery stool acting ok?
Yes, the other hens (now it’s 3) are acting fine. I started them on Corid just in case. Will reply after the course of treatment. Thanks

That is good that the others are acting fine. Corid is definitely worth trying. Even if they do not have it, the treatment will not harm them.

I’ve heard that e-coli and salmonella infections can cause this. Have you done anything to change their diet in any way? Do they have access to clean fresh water?

Water gets changed daily. I use an igloo cooler with nipples so it stays pretty clean. I use an all flock with oyster shells and grit on the side. They get some veggies and meal worms as snacks. They free range in the weekends and about an hour in the evening.
Any OTC treatments for poultry ecoli or salmonella or do I need it from a vet? Anything helps. Don’t want to lose another one of my girls.

Water gets changed daily. I use an igloo cooler with nipples so it stays pretty clean. I use an all flock with oyster shells and grit on the side. They get some veggies and meal worms as snacks. They free range in the weekends and about an hour in the evening.
Any OTC treatments for poultry ecoli or salmonella or do I need it from a vet? Anything helps. Don’t want to lose another one of my girls.
You can yes. If you have the money to do so. I would suggest getting them tested for those if you choose to go to the vet.

I’m going to call the vet today. Another one of the girls died. Unfortunately I’m in a rural area with no vet access on weekends.

Back
Top Bottom