need help please

lyndadale

Chirping
Jan 16, 2013
Hello, I am new to the group. I have a 3 week old gosling. He lives in the house, heat lamp, clean brooder, etc. This evening, I noticed the gosling was repeatedly trying to "chase his tail" but after watching him, he keeps trying to pull at the fluff around his behind, like he is in misery, until he wears himself out. I dont know what to do ?? Please help

Hello, I am new to the group. I have a 3 week old gosling. He lives in the house, heat lamp, clean brooder, etc. This evening, I noticed the gosling was repeatedly trying to "chase his tail" but after watching him, he keeps trying to pull at the fluff around his behind, like he is in misery, until he wears himself out. I dont know what to do ?? Please help
Do you know the temp inside his brooder? just wondering. if by himself how about a mirror with safe edges to keep him company, my goose loves to look at herself. also a stuffed animal. have you let him swim? a nice warm bath and a nice warm towel afterwards to dri him off then under the heat lamp to continue to dry and warm. He maybe itchy from the baby fuzz and a warm bath may help with that. And
welcome-byc.gif
Just remember don't let him get chilled maybe 5-10 min in warm water in sink to start with. just enough water to cover his legs.

well, he is in a cage, with a heat lamp, he is with another gosling, abt 3 days old and a chick that is also 3 wks. I have noticed his stool is more watery liquid, less poo, more water...its like he is having a hiney issue?? I did give him a swim :)

well, he is in a cage, with a heat lamp, he is with another gosling, abt 3 days old and a chick that is also 3 wks. I have noticed his stool is more watery liquid, less poo, more water...its like he is having a hiney issue?? I did give him a swim :)
What are you feeding them? and again check the temp in the brooder sometime if over heated they can get watery poo. You should never brood with out have a thermometer in the brooder to keep track of heat. How does his vent look?

unmedicated chick starter, mostly....they have a big heat lamp, where they can move under or away, at their leisure, nice big cage, clean it 2 or 3 x a day...

unmedicated chick starter, mostly....they have a big heat lamp, where they can move under or away, at their leisure, nice big cage, clean it 2 or 3 x a day...
Chick starter mostly? which makes me think your adding something else food wise, if so you need to introduce some grit. just sprinkle it on the floor of their cage they'll take it as needed.
another thing you may want to add is some brewers yeast sprinkled on top of feed[ not baking yeast] goslings grow so fast they need extra Niacin for strong legs and chick starter doesn't have adequate amts for goslings. Pleas keep us updated on how it's doing. Thanks.

Last edited:
i did feed them some bread, all crumbled up...grit is an awesome idea,....this morning he seems to be doing fine, eating his breakfast (starter). I will get some brewers yeast asap. Thank you all :)

i did feed them some bread, all crumbled up...grit is an awesome idea,....this morning he seems to be doing fine, eating his breakfast (starter). I will get some brewers yeast asap. Thank you all :)
Yep if feeding anything other than starter they need grit, thats how they chew their food. they grind it up with the grit. Don't forget pics too.

he is perfectly fine today, but am gonna add the grit. Should I worm him, and at what age? Not sure how to load pics yet, but will fig it out asap :)

Back
Top Bottom