Need help possibly identify this girl. She has quite the hairdo so I was thinking a cream leg bar but her eggs have been a consistent light tan.

RosieCorona

Chirping
Jun 21, 2022
She was supposed to be a Starlight green egger but clearly is not. I tried to Google her and it says she is a cream legbar but laying light tan almost pinkish (large) eggs with a freckled white bloom. Possible mix?
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20221104_170440479.jpg
    PXL_20221104_170440479.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20221104_170440479.jpg
    PXL_20221104_170440479.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20221104_170449000.jpg
    PXL_20221104_170449000.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20221104_170702210.jpg
    PXL_20221104_170702210.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20221104_170712495.jpg
    PXL_20221104_170712495.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 9
She probably is a Starlight green egger. Some of them look just like her. Unfortunately, there's a 15% or so chance that they won't lay green, but will lay tan instead. This happened to one of my SGEs - I had three and one laid tan (others laid green). It also happened to a few of my Prairie bluebell eggers - tan instead of blue. I have six Prairie Bluebell eggers, 3 of which are laying, and one of them lays tan. Super ticks me off!!! I paid extra for those chicks, and have two tan eggers instead of the colors I planned.

ETA: Starlight green eggers and Prairie bluebell eggers are hatchery mixes - basically a fancy easter egger that lays a certain color.

She probably is a Starlight green egger. Some of them look just like her. Unfortunately, there's a 15% or so chance that they won't lay green, but will lay tan instead. This happened to one of my SGEs - I had three and one laid tan (others laid green). It also happened to a few of my Prairie bluebell eggers - tan instead of blue. I have six Prairie Bluebell eggers, 3 of which are laying, and one of them lays tan. Super ticks me off!!! I paid extra for those chicks, and have two tan eggers instead of the colors I planned.

ETA: Starlight green eggers and Prairie bluebell eggers are hatchery mixes - basically a fancy easter egger that lays a certain color.
Oh, so they're like Cream Legbar, too!

Oh, so they're like Cream Legbar, too!
Not sure what you mean by that, but here's what I know -

Cream crested legbar is an actual breed. When bred within themselves they should always produce blue eggs. Whiting true blue is another breed - they can repopulate themselves, and they lay blue egg. Starlight green eggers and prairie bluebell eggers are not breeds, they are mixes. The hatchery takes different breeds of chickens, and mixes them up, and selects the chicks that should have the desirable traits (for instance, blue eggs are supposed to go with pea comb), and then they sell those, but since the SGEs and PBB are mixes, they don't always lay the expected color.

Easter Eggers are an established mix, typically having beards and muffs, and they lay all colors of eggs, depending on which genes a particular bird happens to have. Each bird only lays one color of egg. You won't typically know what color that will be until they lay.

Hatcheries, to increase sales, have changed up the easter egger concept, and have been selling designer mixes, birds that do not look like typical easter eggers (no muffs or beards) but that are attractively colored and lay a certain color of egg. (Starlight green egger and Prairie Bluebell Egger are two examples - wide variety of feather patterns/colors, with "known" egg color) These chickens are appealing to folks who dislike uncertainty or want a targeted egg color. Unfortunately, not all birds who are sold this way lay the desired egg color. The hatcheries state on their websites which breeds are used to come up with the designer mixes, but I do wonder if there's more breeds in there than they tell us, and how exactly they do it.

Not sure what you mean by that, but here's what I know -

Cream crested legbar is an actual breed. When bred within themselves they should always produce blue eggs. Whiting true blue is another breed - they can repopulate themselves, and they lay blue egg. Starlight green eggers and prairie bluebell eggers are not breeds, they are mixes. The hatchery takes different breeds of chickens, and mixes them up, and selects the chicks that should have the desirable traits (for instance, blue eggs are supposed to go with pea comb), and then they sell those, but since the SGEs and PBB are mixes, they don't always lay the expected color.

Easter Eggers are an established mix, typically having beards and muffs, and they lay all colors of eggs, depending on which genes a particular bird happens to have. Each bird only lays one color of egg. You won't typically know what color that will be until they lay.

Hatcheries, to increase sales, have changed up the easter egger concept, and have been selling designer mixes, birds that do not look like typical easter eggers (no muffs or beards) but that are attractively colored and lay a certain color of egg. (Starlight green egger and Prairie Bluebell Egger are two examples - wide variety of feather patterns/colors, with "known" egg color) These chickens are appealing to folks who dislike uncertainty or want a targeted egg color. Unfortunately, not all birds who are sold this way lay the desired egg color. The hatcheries state on their websites which breeds are used to come up with the designer mixes, but I do wonder if there's more breeds in there than they tell us, and how exactly they do it.
Sorry for not clarifying. I meant there will sometimes, on rare accasions, be a white or tan-laying Cream Legbar. I have a Cream Legbar, but she's not grown yet. Can't wait to see the color she lays! We hope for a blue instead of our light blues.

Thank you for the information, though!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom