Need help quick for sick chick!

I have 15 one week old chicks brooding now. They were shipped and were struggling with pasty butt which has mostly cleared up now and I lost 2 chicks in the first 48 hours. They were on paper towels with food sprinkled about the first few days and then I removed the paper towels. All the chicks seemed to be active and eating well.

Now related to your chick - my favorite girl started acting listless yesterday with her head down..hanging out under the lamp...not showing interest in food. I tried making a wet food mash of water and crumbles which she showed no interest in (the other chicks went crazy for it). I got her to drink some water by dipping her beak. Then I took a medicine dropper and dribbled some raw egg yolk on her beak. She wasnt really interested but did drink the yolk that made it into her beak.

I knew I had to get her eating and honestly didn't have much hope. But what I did was put the chicks back on paper towels with the food sprinkled about thinking she might be eating shavings or confused. Sure enough the yolks seemed to perk her up enough that she started packing around and eating the chick starter. I also sprinkled some chick grit around the paper towels. She seems to be doing much better today...just making it through the night is a victory to me.

It sounds like your chick may have a crop problem...possible she's eating bedding. Maybe this post will help you...I wish I knew more.

Good luck to you and your peep...

I have 15 one week old chicks brooding now. They were shipped and were struggling with pasty butt which has mostly cleared up now and I lost 2 chicks in the first 48 hours. They were on paper towels with food sprinkled about the first few days and then I removed the paper towels. All the chicks seemed to be active and eating well.

Now related to your chick - my favorite girl started acting listless yesterday with her head down..hanging out under the lamp...not showing interest in food. I tried making a wet food mash of water and crumbles which she showed no interest in (the other chicks went crazy for it). I got her to drink some water by dipping her beak. Then I took a medicine dropper and dribbled some raw egg yolk on her beak. She wasnt really interested but did drink the yolk that made it into her beak.

I knew I had to get her eating and honestly didn't have much hope. But what I did was put the chicks back on paper towels with the food sprinkled about thinking she might be eating shavings or confused. Sure enough the yolks seemed to perk her up enough that she started packing around and eating the chick starter. I also sprinkled some chick grit around the paper towels. She seems to be doing much better today...just making it through the night is a victory to me.

It sounds like your chick may have a crop problem...possible she's eating bedding. Maybe this post will help you...I wish I knew more.

Good luck to you and your peep...

Thanks everybody...I tried to give her egg yolk, and keep her drinking, but she sort of just faded and didn't make it.
The silver lining: I learned lots of things I can use right away if I see problems, and I found a great new resource and lots of helpful people willing to share their chicken knowledge. Thanks again to everyone who replied or had good wishes, all other chicks healthy, but will still watch carefully for signs.
Is it common to lose a few chicks? I sort of feel deflated a little...like you try to do everything right, and you still lose some.

Very sorry for your loss. It is common to lose a chick now and then from shipping stress. This forum has been helpful to a lot of us when we encounter illnesses or need advice about anything chicken. Hopefully, you will hang around and be part of our community.

Thanks everybody...I tried to give her egg yolk, and keep her drinking, but she sort of just faded and didn't make it.
The silver lining: I learned lots of things I can use right away if I see problems, and I found a great new resource and lots of helpful people willing to share their chicken knowledge. Thanks again to everyone who replied or had good wishes, all other chicks healthy, but will still watch carefully for signs.
Is it common to lose a few chicks? I sort of feel deflated a little...like you try to do everything right, and you still lose some.
Yes its common and it hurts every time for me at least...theyre all pets for me. I have lost 3 of 17 this time. Its more common when theyre shipped i think but some chicks just fail to thrive.

I understand, it's sort of a little miracle that most of them make it I guess. Being put in a box and shipped when your just a day old would be stressful for most critters!

Hi everyone...just wanted to let you know I think I know what happened to my little Australorpe, and I feel so bad about it. Somehow, I got my layer feed (for my adult Buff Orps) mixed up with my medicated chick feed, and both sets of birds were getting the wrong thing for about a week. So when some of you suggested cocci, I didn't think it was possible as it was supposed to be getting medicated feed. In hindsight, that could have been exactly what was wrong with her. I made sure that I separated the feeds so I can't mix them up, and now double check labels. Thankfully, all other broodmates are spunky and healthy, and I wished there was an easier way to learn sometimes, but I won't make that mistake again! Thanks again for all your advice!

Medicated feed does not always help protect from coccidiosis. I have used it, and I have raised chicks on non-medicated feed without any cases of an outbreak. Coccidiosis is more likely to be a problem in chicks 3 weeks and older. But shipping stress can cause problems in chicks up to 10 days afterward.

Gotcha...if there is a coccidiosis outbreak, will there usually be more than one bird who will be sick?
Is there anything else in layer feed that might harm a young chick or cause problems? Not saying this is what caused the death, I'm guessing it was shipping related, but am curious.

Back
Top Bottom