Need help select best rooster to keep for breeding

speedy2020

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 24, 2010
I have 2 blue orpington roosters that about 5 months old. I am trying to keep 1, but have hard time to decide so do need input from those that have experience.

Rooster 1:

Nice comb, dark blue color. However, he is picky with food so much lighter than the other rooster. This rooster also the dominant of the two.

Rooster 2:

Crocked comb, light blue color. He love to eat so I expect he will much healthier and bigger in the future.

Last edited:
I say rooster two because he is the dominant so the hens will already be his mates for the season

Join the Clucker Club.

It is far too early for you to be making this sort of decision around your cockerels (males under one year old). It sounds like you're just getting into raising quality birds. If so, you want to give them plenty of time to show themselves to you. When you are getting ready to cull, you need to do so with a Standard of Perfection in hand so that you learn what you're looking at.

Also, keeping only on cockerel or cock (a male over one year old) is not the way to run a strong breeding program.

It is far too early for you to be making this sort of decision around your cockerels (males under one year old). It sounds like you're just getting into raising quality birds. If so, you want to give them plenty of time to show themselves to you. When you are getting ready to cull, you need to do so with a Standard of Perfection in hand so that you learn what you're looking at.

Also, keeping only on cockerel or cock (a male over one year old) is not the way to run a strong breeding program.

Thanks for the inputs. I decide to keep both at this time.

Back
Top Bottom