Need Help Setting Up ID System/Record Keeping

the main problem I have with wing bands is that you have to catch the bird to know what you’re observing, whereas plastic leg bands are highly visible.
That was my thought process too. In the paper you linked to it mentioned “Swiftrack” neck bands. I did some searching and came up with several other scientific studies that used them, but no details about the product itself. I wanted to see if it would be visible, permanent, and unique

That was my thought process too. In the paper you linked to it mentioned “Swiftrack” neck bands. I did some searching and came up with several other scientific studies that used them, but no details about the product itself. I wanted to see if it would be visible, permanent, and unique

LMK if you find them!

I know this is a little off topic, but what are you using for your weighing?

An antique scale that is very accurate. Got it at an out-of-the-way roadside antique store for peanuts. Still need to contrive a basked or something to keep the birds still while weighing. Haven’t done this other years, but with following genetics as closely as I intend to, I’m planning to weigh weekly from weeks 12-22 at least.

I will. I was thinking of using a combination of toe punches and leg bands. I would toe punch at hatching to identify family and hatch. I would then grow them out and only put leg bands on the birds that I wanted to track individually once they were nearly fully grown

That’s what we did this year (minus the toe punching). BUT: we raised 65 silver penciled rocks, and even if they had been toe punched by families, keeping track of/identifying/observing individuals is (for me at least) impossible without some kind of ID. Leg bands have failed me this year: several hens and a couple of cockerels threw them, and things got mixed up. Hence the search for a better way!

Back
Top Bottom