Need help sexing 6 week old muscovy duckling

I too have 3 Muscovy ducks that hatched 3 weeks ago. They are a hoot. I can't believe how quickly they are growing!
The wild ones that I've watched grow up didn't display any special characteristics (special features) until they were quite big. Then I could tell by their bill. I'm new to all of this as well and this is my first time raising too.
One thing I've learned, and very quickly, is that they poop A LOT! :rolleyes:
Omg yes! All i ever do is clean up poo i swear. My oldest just wiggles tail after pooping and when i clean it up he tries to eat it ( this is when he comes into the house)

Omg yes! All i ever do is clean up poo i swear. My oldest just wiggles tail after pooping and when i clean it up he tries to eat it ( this is when he comes into the house)
LOL! Mine are in my back bedroom in an enclosed dog pen. It's ridiculous how messy they are.
We've been working on converting our old dog kennel into a chicken/duck pen (no chickens yet) and we're almost finished. I take them out there for half the day. They have a baby pool to get into but will only get in if I do. LOL!

LOL! Mine are in my back bedroom in an enclosed dog pen. It's ridiculous how messy they are.
We've been working on converting our old dog kennel into a chicken/duck pen (no chickens yet) and we're almost finished. I take them out there for half the day. They have a baby pool to get into but will only get in if I do. LOL!
Mine only go outside when the weather isnt super bad (uk weather) but at night i bring them in and let them sleep in the spare room but my oldest still doesnt like my younger one so thats ones go a place to safely go in that room. I wish i could let them stay outside but i live near where there is a good few foxes and they are crafty at getting into places. My oldest loves the paddling pool but the other one is skeptical about it. I cant even leave my older one alone without me otherwise it goes crazy trying to find me but when im around it acts all independent like it doesnt need me. How many ducks you got soo far?

Mine only go outside when the weather isnt super bad (uk weather) but at night i bring them in and let them sleep in the spare room but my oldest still doesnt like my younger one so thats ones go a place to safely go in that room. I wish i could let them stay outside but i live near where there is a good few foxes and they are crafty at getting into places. My oldest loves the paddling pool but the other one is skeptical about it. I cant even leave my older one alone without me otherwise it goes crazy trying to find me but when im around it acts all independent like it doesnt need me. How many ducks you got soo far?
You are a wonderful duck keeper! I bet it's so much fun watching them.
I live in S. Florida so the weather is good. The wildlife predators in my area include hawks, raccoons, opossums, once in a while a fox and recently the coyotes are hanging around.
I ended up with 3 eggs because for the 3rd time a female Muscovy will lay eggs behind my fountain in front of the house. It's right by a low kitchen window. After almost two weeks of being off her nest, she never came back. Since I have an incubator I thought I'd try and save them.
Well, it worked. I'm still trying to decide whether I should keep them or not. I know it's illegal, I believe to have them as pets. I just don't know how well they will do on their own.
My dog is determined to kill them and my neighbor has a dog that likes to "play" with them. It's a lot of work!
Now there's another female laying behind the fountain. At least she's being a good mom and hanging around!

Attachments

• IMG_5622.jpeg
    IMG_5622.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 5
You are a wonderful duck keeper! I bet it's so much fun watching them.
I live in S. Florida so the weather is good. The wildlife predators in my area include hawks, raccoons, opossums, once in a while a fox and recently the coyotes are hanging around.
I ended up with 3 eggs because for the 3rd time a female Muscovy will lay eggs behind my fountain in front of the house. It's right by a low kitchen window. After almost two weeks of being off her nest, she never came back. Since I have an incubator I thought I'd try and save them.
Well, it worked. I'm still trying to decide whether I should keep them or not. I know it's illegal, I believe to have them as pets. I just don't know how well they will do on their own.
My dog is determined to kill them and my neighbor has a dog that likes to "play" with them. It's a lot of work!
Now there's another female laying behind the fountain. At least she's being a good mom and hanging around!
That cute little head pop up from her. Why are muscovy illegal to have as pets there? I know here we can have them as pets as long as we meet their needs and keep they safe and happy with a good diet but there is a few wild muscovies around some parks, farms and there is some at my work.

That cute little head pop up from her. Why are muscovy illegal to have as pets there? I know here we can have them as pets as long as we meet their needs and keep they safe and happy with a good diet but there is a few wild muscovies around some parks, farms and there is some at my work.
The law is weird here. Makes no sense. They are protected somewhat because they are considered migratory but then a homeowner can kill them humanely if they are on their property. They are considered an invasive species, except in some places near the border in Texas.
A lot of my neighbors hate them. They poop all over their driveways. LOL! That is true...they do do a lot of that!

Back
Top Bottom