Need help sexing my chicks !

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by meals, Nov 26, 2015.

1. meals

meals Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2015
    Hi all ! Just need some help as I can't handle the suspense ! It's good coz where I am I could probably keep two (if I have two) !! They're bantam Wyandottes crosses (I got eggs from a neighbor) they're about 7 weeks old !

I also have a standard sized barred rock "hen" I got from a hatchery.. She's about 8 weeks old but I'm seriously thinking she could be a rooster !! She's got a really a red comb and wattle and GIANT feet! I got her at the same time as my barnvelder and she dominates over her. I won't be able to keep her if she is a rooster as she will be too large for my banties but the hatchery I got her from said they would take her back.

Any feedback would be great ! Especially about my little chicks !! They were my first ever hatchlings under a broody and I just adore them. I haven't give them proper names yet (so I don't jinx it !!)

Sorry some of the pics aren't super clear ! They're quick little ones !! :lol:

Chick A
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick B
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick C
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick D
    [I[​IMG]
    MG ALT=""]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7175556/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Chick E
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

& Pearl my standard barred rock!

[I[​IMG]
    MG ALT=""]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7175560/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
    :lol:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They are pretty young but they all look like pullets to me at this point except Pearl. Given the size and redness of the comb and wattles and that light barring, Pearl is a cockerel.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

1 person likes this.
  4. meals

meals Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2015
    Thanks guys ! Good to know about pearl as I was definitely suspicious !!! Also Chick C isn't super clear but she/he is pretty much the only one with a small red comb.. The others are still pretty pale. What about wattle development ? Some have small ones developing underneath but hens get them too right ??

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome; and yes, hens get wattles as well. Their wattles typically don't turn bright red however until shortly before they begin laying whereas a cockerel's wattles turn bright red weeks earlier.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Pearl is a Paul - sorry

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Pearl looks like a cockerel to me, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by