Need help sexing my Pekin

6ChicksandaDog

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Waterbury
Hi I'm new to having ducks, I currently own 2 Pekins one is full pekin the other swedish pekin mix. I found out a month ago I for sure had a drake which is the full pekin he has a definite drake feather. A couple weeks ago I started to notice my other duck started getting a little drake (i think). Here are a couple pictures can anyone from these pictures determine whether I have 2 males. The one in question is the darker billed duck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wanted duck eggs so I'll be pretty bummed. If anyone has a female pekin please let me know.

Hi I'm new to having ducks, I currently own 2 Pekins one is full pekin the other swedish pekin mix. I found out a month ago I for sure had a drake which is the full pekin he has a definite drake feather. A couple weeks ago I started to notice my other duck started getting a little drake (i think). Here are a couple pictures can anyone from these pictures determine whether I have 2 males. The one in question is the darker billed duck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wanted duck eggs so I'll be pretty bummed. If anyone has a female pekin please let me know.
That does look like the starts of a drake curl

Yes could definately be the start of one. What does the quack sound like? If its low and raspy it's a male but if its loud and clear quack it's a female!
Where are you located? I have pekin females

Here's a video I took and you can hear the quack difference.

There are two hens at the water's edge and hard to see but you can DEFINITELY hear them at the start of the video.
The hens are just to the left of the dock right at waters edge.
Then from the right comes in a drake to greet them and you can hear his much more raspy/croaky quack as the hens start "clucking" a greeting back to him.

Can you hear the difference?

Last edited:
I'm uploading a video that I took this morning when they seem to be most vocal. I will post it once it uploaded. I live in Waterbury,VT. I'm looking for only one female, our area is not large enough for 4 duckies. How would 2 drakes do together with one hen?

Back
Top Bottom