Need help sexing my silkie please

Darlene28073

Songster
Dec 18, 2020
Grover NC
So I know Silkies are hard to sex. I hatched this Silkie on December 22nd. I've been watching and guessing pretty much ever since. šŸ˜… So many things had me thinking pullet until today, now I'm questioning my guesses. Either way "it's" name is Lil Star (hatched on the night of the Christmas Star. I will explain my guesses & then why I'm questioning it now. Star has always had the stance of a pullet, low/forward. Tail has always pointed downward. Never been curious like any other cockerel I've had, they've all been different breeds. Star's cost has always looked very round, no streamers & still does. Now for why I'm questioning. I noticed wattles! Comb is very small, but in the last month, boom wattles! What gives? I've searched & searched but can't figure it out so here I am asking for help. I'm hoping someone more experienced with Silkies can help me out. I'm going to add pictures from chick through a couple days ago. Some are hard to really see so you may need to zoom in please.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.I know I'll know for sure if I see an egg in a few more months. šŸ˜†šŸ¤£ Oh, I have a rooster so not sure if I'll hear any crowing for a while even if Star is a cockerel.
20201223_065158.jpg
20210113_162922.jpg
20210113_162751.jpg
20210314_193329.jpg
20210329_173422.jpg
20210329_173424.jpg
20210329_173456.jpg
20210423_171524.jpg
20210423_171529.jpg

In this video, you can see my white Pavlovskaya trying to keep her treat šŸ˜†šŸ¤£ but you can see Star walk & stance.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NGX4WyZxqBXhh73d7

I'll try to get some better & closer pictures tomorrow.

EDIT:
I got a couple close up pictures this morning. Sorry still not the best pictures but I hadn't even had my coffee yet & still in my gown. Lol
20210501_072110.jpg
20210501_072049.jpg
20210501_072106.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a pullet to me as well. :D

She looks like she is non bearded. Non bearded hens can have fairly large wattles sometimes (much larger than your girls even). The bearded gene actually inhibits wattle growth so wattles that big on a bearded would definitely point more towards male. I'm guessing since they are just coming in more now she's getting closer to laying. :)

Yes "she" is a non bearded & I knew she could get wattles but couldn't find any pictures of any with them of any size. I really appreciate all the guesses so far! I hope we're all right!
I've been watching for red on her shoulders, neck & saddle area. I love how dark she is, it makes it easier. šŸ˜†
I've always heard that Silkies take a long time to start to lay, around 7-9 months. With her being 4 months old I didn't even think she would be anywhere close to laying maturity. It would be wonderful if she is though!!

Yes "she" is a non bearded & I knew she could get wattles but couldn't find any pictures of any with them of any size. I really appreciate all the guesses so far! I hope we're all right!
I've been watching for red on her shoulders, neck & saddle area. I love how dark she is, it makes it easier. šŸ˜†
I've always heard that Silkies take a long time to start to lay, around 7-9 months. With her being 4 months old I didn't even think she would be anywhere close to laying maturity. It would be wonderful if she is though!!
All of mine started laying between 7 and 8 months of age. šŸ˜Š

Just looked at this thread and got so relieved- I have this silkie chick I hope (and think) is a girl and yesterday I noticed she grew some wattles. I thought she was going to be a roo and got a bit upset. I saw your messages about wattle growth and got so happy!

I've seen both non bearded with and without wattles. I believe this is due to comb type. The ones without probably have walnut combs (the pea portion of the comb inhibits wattle growth). The non bearded with wattles most likely have modified rose combs. The two comb types can look very similar.

This is an interesting article about the comb type and wattles if you are interested in learning more. :)

https://www.chickencolours.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/What-Wattles-lowres.pdf

The earliest I've had silkies start laying is around 5 months, the latest around 9-10 months. Most of my girls start laying around 6-7 months though. "She" might not be getting close to laying yet but I do often notice my girls combs having some sudden growth several weeks before they start so you never know! :D

Back
Top Bottom