1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help sick broody hen!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clover13, Nov 24, 2014.

1. clover13

clover13 New Egg

Nov 24, 2014
    Hi I'm new to the site. My chicken has recently become broody and I noticed that she was not pooping then yesterday a smelly clear yellowish liquid started to leak from her bum and her comb is very pale and floppy. Does anyone know what it is and how I can treat it?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    She may have been staying in the nesting box because she was trying to lay a egg and was having problems being egg-bound. Sometime a egg can break inside and cause death. I would pull her in and give her a vent bath and investigate. There maybe treatment that works but, I know they go South quickly. I have lost a few to this and it seem that it is always the youngest or oldest that have the problem. I hope she recovers. Good Luck

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please post in detail AT ONCE on the "emergencies, diseases,injuries, cures," thread - sounds like an egg broke inside - this is an emergency situation. Could you take her to a vet?

4. clover13

clover13 New Egg

Nov 24, 2014
    sorry I did not realise there were different threads... I thought that she might be egg bound as well but she is defiantly broody. I am happy to say that she finally pooped yesterday and is looking a little bit better today has a bit more colour in her comb and seemed more alert. I am continuing to keep a close eye on her and have given her some yogurt and apple cider vinegar in her water. I am hopeful she will get better

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Could you post a picture? I give my birds both of those things when they are sick as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by