Need Help Skinny Peacock???

@Alex1010 , ignore the doing direction on the bottle of Safeguard, it's for goats, and goats get *much* less than birds. Give the 0.23 ml per pound for five days.

-Kathy

Thanks will do, but do you think that's the reason he's under weight?

@Alex1010 , you may never know why he was under weight when you bought him. From your description, it doesn't sound as though he was on an appropriate pea diet, and peas use a lot of energy growing feathers. He may have been stressed, he probably has worms that weren't killed by the Wazine, he might have coccidia -- and that's just the start of the list
th.gif

Worm him, treat for coccidia perhaps, give him good pea food, some sunlight and a place to perch, and see if he puts on weight. Watch for any signs that he may be ill, and if anything doesn't look right, don't wait -- get help right away, because peas can go downhill fast.

I think he'll do fine once he's wormed and gets proper food.
yippiechickie.gif

Worms and coccidia are things you can rule out. At his age he should weigh no less than 3 kg, so get a scale and weigh him. Poop pictures will be very helpful.

-Kathy

@Alex1010 , just to be clear (since most of us don't speak vet language as well as @casportpony
bow.gif
), you "rule out" worms and coccidia as causes of his low body weight by treating for them and watching for improvement. That means you go ahead and worm with a broad-spectrum wormer like fenbendazole (Safeguard), treat for coccidia (amprolium), or check his poop at the vet, and you eliminate those as cause for concern.

Since peas should receive regular preventative health care, including worming, and especially since you know that the wormer the previous owner was using isn't broad spectrum enough, your bird should benefit from using the Safeguard and you can then (mostly) stop worrying about worms as a cause of his low weight.

Remember, there can be (and probably are) multiple reasons ALL contributing to your new baby's low body weight. Best to start (in my view) by addressing the likely ones: worms, coccidia and diet -- you can actually cover all of those at the same time and get him off to a good start in his new home
yippiechickie.gif

If you do all these things and he still doesn't gain weight, then it's time to dig further. Stay in touch with us!

About that weighing him bit -- it may be easier if you wrap him in a towel if you are trying to hold him. Make sure you subtract the weight of the towel.

@Alex1010
, you may never know why he was under weight when you bought him.  From your description, it doesn't sound as though he was on an appropriate pea diet, and peas use a lot of energy growing feathers.  He may have been stressed, he probably has worms that weren't killed by the Wazine, he might have coccidia -- and that's just the start of the list :th

Worm him, treat for coccidia perhaps, give him good pea food, some sunlight and a place to perch, and see if he puts on weight.  Watch for any signs that he may be ill, and if anything doesn't look right, don't wait -- get help right away, because peas can go downhill fast.

I think he'll do fine once he's wormed and gets proper food. :yiipchick
Thanks I'll do all of those too make sure he's in proper care

@Alex1010
, just to be clear (since most of us don't speak vet language as well as @casportpony
:bow   ), you "rule out" worms and coccidia as causes of his low body weight by treating for them and watching for improvement.  That means you go ahead and worm with a broad-spectrum wormer like fenbendazole (Safeguard), treat for coccidia (amprolium), or check his poop at the vet, and you eliminate those as cause for concern.

Since peas should receive regular preventative health care, including worming, and especially since you know that the wormer the previous owner was using isn't broad spectrum enough, your bird should benefit from using the Safeguard and you can then (mostly) stop worrying about worms as a cause of his low weight.

Remember, there can be (and probably are) multiple reasons ALL contributing to your new baby's low body weight.  Best to start (in my view) by addressing the likely ones: worms, coccidia and diet -- you can actually cover all of those at the same time and get him off to a good start in his new home :yiipchick

If you do all these things and he still doesn't gain weight, then it's time to dig further.  Stay in touch with us!
I'm pretty sure he will get a lot better here, the guy I got him from didn't care for his peas that well. Ill try to get all of those tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom