need help to convert a dosage of tetracycline...anyone?

chickitty

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 18, 2012
Mangilao, Guam
im trying to convert this dosage which was written on the tetracycline package for my baby chick here it is

6.4 OZ WILL MAKE:

100 gal containing 100 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal
50 gal containing 200 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal
25 gal containing 400 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal
12.5 gal containing 800 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride/gal
For chickens:
=> CRD AIR SAC DISEASE: Use soluble powder in the drinking water at a drug level of 400-800 mg tetracycline hydrochloride per gallon per day.

HELP!!

Last edited:
Maybe my brain needs a jumpstart.....Are you trying to figure out how much med to put into a certain amount of water to give your baby chick? Or are you looking to convert gallons into another measurement?

Your shooting for 600mg per gallon. If a 6.4 oz bottle will treat 19 gallons of water then you want to use 1/19 of a bottle to a gallon. So if there are 9 teaspoons to a dry ounce then 6.4(9)/19= 3 teaspoons per gallon of water to make 600mg mixture.

1 tablespoon per gallon to make 600mg dosage.

If the powder is not dry, as in a tablespoon doesn't look like about 1/20 the entire bottle then pour out contents and divide in half 4 times (2,4,8,16). That will give you 1/16th of a bottle which will equal 700mg to a gallon of water.

Last edited:
Well I have a 9.87oz bag and yeah I'm trying to break it down to only a 5 gallon water feeder. But because I am unsure if she is drinking much water I want to give it to her by syringe orally. What do you all tnink? Good idea/ bad idea?

Is she eating? What brand of tetracycline do you have? The instructions are usually on the label, especially Duramycin10. Some meds like teracycline can tast kind of bad, and giving them in a more concentrated form may make it worse. A lot of people add a small amount of cranberry juice or red jello powder to make it more palatable and apperently vitamin C will help with absorbtion. What are you treating for? You can also tube feed her the meds and food if she won't drink.

Last edited:
I have a bag of Tetracycline Hydrochloride,dosage instructions on my pack are:give 2 level teaspoonsful per 4.5 L(19 cups) of water. Each gram contains 55 mg(175mg/teaspoonful) of Tetracycline Hydrochloride in a water soluble base.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom