Need help to figure why my chickens are dying almost every other day.

Tilena

In the Brooder
May 30, 2018
Graytown, OH
We had 22 chickens and now we only have 17. We had 4 barred Plymouth rocks and now we only have one. Yesterday we let the out in a fenced in area with their coops in the morning then fed them and watered them. It was 91 Fahrenheit outside then we went to work and got back home then we went out to check on them and found the third one dead. Looked for puncture wounds but were none. We don't know why she died but we don't want our last barred rock hen to die. If anyone could help please.
Also, we feed them cracked clan shells, cracked corn, egg layer pellets, regular chicken food, sometimes antibotic food for when we notice they might be sick, sometime table scraps, and meal worms dried, and greens like grass.
Also, we have sillies chickens, sex links, road island reds, isas.

They always have water and shade. For shade we put up tarps and have water bowls in each coop and 3 more outside around in their pen.

I place flat pig pans about 1/3 full of water in shaded areas for them to cool their feet in hot whether. I also change their water daily in the late afternoon, so they have cool water before going to roost. Keeping a fan at one end of your coop blowing out to pull air through the coop from the other end is a good idea in hot westher.

You may want to limit them to only chicken layer feed as the main source of food besides free ranging, since scraps and corn may make them overweight. Hens can suffer from
fatty liver disease if they get fat from too many carbs. Corn has only have the protein they require, and few of the balanced nutrients. Some breeds are not as heat tolerant as others.

It would be good to know their ages, and if they had any diarrhea, crop problems, or other symptoms. You may want to get a necropsy through your state vet on any other chickens you may lose. Sorry for your loss.

When I get home to check on them yesterday they had their mouths open and were panting. But for the one who died I don't know if she had any symptoms because I was at work.

When I get home I'll take pictures of the coops so anyone can see what they look like for ventilation. And or maybe reply on what kind of shade or water dishes they have that they think could be improved or different.

20180530_161347.jpg
20180530_161328.jpg
20180530_161316.jpg
20180530_161249.jpg

Back
Top Bottom